• I've been found out...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by inkyrail

Well we were discussing safety rules in training today and the word vestibule came up. The instructor asked if anyone knew what it was and I explained it. He was all AHA! I knew you were a railfan! Only railfans know those kind of questions! I just stuffed my head down on my desk. Other than ribbing, nothing horrible has happened...yet.

by jz441

Whell,... I have been working for the railroad over 8 years, and have no idea what "vestiblue" means.... :(

by cifn2

answers.com says vestibule- An enclosed area at the end of a passenger car on a railroad train.

by JLJ061

That would be my guess as well; Now how did he figure you out as a railfan just by that question alone??

by Jtgshu

Thats when you say "i guess it takes one to know one, huh?"

:wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

Try reminding that instructor, about this old addage: "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach". See if he "gets the message". :-D

by LCJ

Yeah, that'll help.

by cifn2

lol you might get sent to the front of the class and be the trouble student the rest of the class lol

by inkyrail

Funny replies, guys! Thanks!

by LCJ

Keep us posted on your progress, Inky, and don't listen to guy telling you to insult the instructor. Trust me -- that is never a good strategy. :wink:

by jz441

Also, do not spill engineer’s coffee while making joints. That really sucks. Yesterday we had a student conductor (on the yard job) that kept "welding" me to the joints, and after a third one I was really pissed. It's better for your car lengths to be longer, than to short.

Good luck!... :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

Okay, LCJ, okay. Never included you, with those "other" types. Huge difference in the ones doing for the RR's, versus the ones doing it on the outside. Such a wise old sage, should have never even thought such a thing......... :-D

by the missing link

Doh!
B.T.W.,Never make any experience references to volunteering or belonging to rail museums. there is still a disqualifying bias against railfans. even if you contributed to operation lifesaver. I had a horrible interview w/ an N.S. woman a couple years ago, I mean really hostile, that really knocked the wind out of me. I made the selection of the last 6 out of about 70. But I got a thicker skin over it and figured, screw it, they just lost a really good employee. asking around and viewing these discussions, I haven't had many good vibes about the nazis of norfolk.a shame, 'cos they have some good bros on here, they seem to treat their people like sh#t. I'm just showing steady ontime employment, some previous experience around machinery, good health, and a positive, mature attitude.