• How to apply for conductor position out of high school

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by 3025L

I am 18 years of age and have two months of high school left I was wondering if there is any chance i could be a conductor straight out of highschool at the age of 18

by jz441

There is a guy that hired out with me when he was 19. The only job he had after high school was pumping gas, but his father was a conductor with the company for a long time. That explains it all.
Generaly, railroads would like you to be at least 21, but there is always a chance to get in at the younger age.
My personal opinion is that railroads would not hire you straight out of high school unless you have someone who can get you in. Railroads like to see your work habits, and your safety record.
You would probably have a better chance by attending NARS in Kansas.
Good luck!

by chrisjz

I have trained and worked with several guys who hired when they were 18 with NS. JZ441 is correct, they do like to see your work habits and would prefer you to be 21 but that doesn't mean you can't give it a shot! You never know until you try... Good luck.

by inkyrail

UP hired me with a certificate in General Railway Ops. I am 20 years old. However, BNSF rejected me within a couple days. So it is really hard to tell.

by cifn2

inkyrail where did you get your certificate in General railway operations?

by JuKayes

There were several 18-19 years olds in my NARS class, and to the best of my knowledge all have secured spots a conductor, either with BNSF or the UP...

I'm gonna have to go with jz441 on this one, you can give it a try and see what happens, I mean it's not unheard of for you to hire out straight outta high school. But probably NARS, or some work history, preferably in a job field where strong focus is put on your work safety practices, would help you tremendously...

Either way good luck and hope it works out for you...

by inkyrail

cifn2 wrote:inkyrail where did you get your certificate in General railway operations?
San Bernardino Valley College- San Bernardino, CA. When I was there it was taught by 3 current BNSF employees and 1 Metrolink employee (Manager of Safety and Security). I still keep in touch with one of them.

by cifn2

ok thanks for the reply. I don't have the ability to leave. can't afford to, I have been looking for online classes none yet available.

by 3025L

do you have to complete pre reqs for the railroad class at valley college (i live right here in redlands.) or do you just take that class?

by inkyrail

You just take the class- that's why it's a certificate and not an Associate's Degree.