• Horseshoe Curve/cell phones

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by dwil89

OCtrainguy wrote:I was in the area during the first week of July. I spent time at Altoona, the curve, Galliztin, Cresson and a few hours in Johnstown.

With respect to South Fork and Conemaugh, can somone provide the good photo spots there? I drove through South Fork enroute from the Johnstown Flood Memorial to Johnstown itself. Not being familiar with the area, I didn't stop. I appreciate the info, and would use it for my next trip out there as I bought the grounds pass for Horseshoe Curve.
As far as South Fork goes, there are a few spots...One is the old bridge abutment...This is located in South Fork on the right side directly across from Grant Streetwhere Rte 53 drops down toward a left hand curve. You will see barricades on the right from where the old bridge used to be...There is a wide spot there where you can step over the guardrail and sit on the abutment and watch from an elevated vantagepoint. The second spot is down along the curve itself by the wye....you can park on the gravel and shoot action coming West and East along the Main. stay out of the Wye itself....Once you drive left around this curve, make a right onto Maple Street and this will take you over the South Fork Secondary trackage..park in a wide gravel lot at the crossing and you can shoot the 80MACS or whatever road power might be working bringing coaldrags in and out of the Yard....To get to Conemaugh from South Fork, continue South through South Fork on Rte 53/Railroad Street and pass the Sidman Interchange for Rte 219...another few miles uphill will bring you to a 5 way intersection called Ragers Corners. Bear right here onto 'Clapboard Run' and after a few miles, you will drop down into Franklin...Look for the first right turn onto Rte 271 and this will take you over the tracks to East Conemaugh....Make the first right after going over the bridge and then another right and it will bring you trackside near some blue 'Goodwill drop off boxes'...you will be parked next to the Rte 271 overpass that you just drove over...good for afternoon-early evening shots, especially for Westbounds.

by OCtrainguy

Thanks for the information. I intend to use it during my next trip out there, whenever that may be.

I have uploaded some of my photos so far from my trip. They can been seen at: http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=14492

Enjoy. I will have more to add at a later time.