Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Komachi

If I'm not mistaken, those "spots" are actually lights that they use to illuminate the locomotive during the Christmas holiday season. (Need something a little more sturdy than strings of Christmas lights tacked to the side of the locomotive...)

Anyone wish to concour or contradict?

by metman499

Got it in one. The whole locomotive is outlined in festively colored lights.

by ANDY117

In talking to a guy I know at CP< they used christmas lights for a couple years, but by the time the train got to Binghamton, most were broken from hitting trees! Since then, CP has switched to LED cords. It looks pretty good, too.

by Tadman

whats up with the checkerboard on the doorway? I saw a similar setup on some late-model CP locos from Amtk #3 last night.

by trainmaster_1

The reflective checkerboard tape is used to notify the crews at night about the height of the door enterance, knowing that a few have banged their heads on the door seems on the way in.