• HO D&H ex-D&RGW coaches coming from Walthers

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Steve Wagner

I learned just this morning from a Walthers mailing that arrived at a hobby shop May 25 that the firm will be offering its ready-to-run Pullman-Standard 52-seat streamlined coach in D&H paint and lettering. Order #932-16762, $34.98 list, "expected" August 28.

I put this on the Atlas HO Forum today, but that forum has just been closed until sometime in August.
  by Ken S.

They didn't make an LIRR 4-4-2, a PC 52 Seat Coach, or Amtrak "Heritage" versions. Then again the MTA might not have allowed Walthers to use their two-tone M logo on it, but that's no excuse for skipping the PC Coach. I also would have made MTA, MN, LIRR, NJT, or NJDOT on the Budd 46 Seat coach, 52 Seat Coach, and the Pullman 52 Seat Coach and LIRR on the Budd Obs.

by Otto Vondrak

Isn't this 52-seat coach based on a C&O car? What's with the "missing window" in the center where the divider is? I'm glad there's no MTA two-tone M on this one...

Make me some more cars like these, and we'll talk!

http://www.tsny.com/otto/mta-1.html

-otto-

by Ken S.

• 1. The missing windows was to remove the "bowling alley" appearance of the interiors.
    2. The Penn Central according to the history of the cars on Walthers.com did own some and they may have been passed on to NJDOT or the MTA both of which operated PC commuter services.
    3. The LIRR used secondhand 4-4-2s in parlor car service. Check the LIRR parlor car site.

by Xplorer2000

Excellent stuff ,Otto!! Those diagrams are very not bad. One question, about the painting colors. The "Jade Green" they used on those coaches...they also painted some ex-New Haven "American Flyer" coaches up here in Boston with it....What is a good Model Paint to duplicate it???? Because its a whole lot DARKER than the Jade Green they applied to the 1948 ex New Haven Osgood Bradley coaches they used up here( That looked exactly like NYC/PC Jade Green) I have a couple of the old EB Valley cars painted that way, and I want to paint up an old P-70 to go with them, but I'm having a devil of a time matching the colors. Now, if only someone would make an FL-9 to go with them....<sigh>........

by Otto Vondrak

regarding penn central green, they used a bunch of different colors on equipment- ranging from jade to something as dark as BN green. you'll have to follow a photo of what you are painting, and match the color to that.

-otot-

by jwb1323

Otto, if your question is why is a C&O design being painted in all kinds of other roadnames, the reason is that C&O ordered a large number of passenger cars for a projected fleet of passenger trains in the late 1940s that turned out to be far too optimistic, and Pullman resold a lot of coaches, diners, sleepers, and observation cars before delivery to C&O. Off the top of my head, ACL, B&O, D&RGW, C&NW, and Nickel Plate at least got these cars in various combinations. They are a good choice for a model, since so many went to various railroads. SP and D&H later got the cars from earlier owners.