• HLCX Locomotives

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by J.D. White

How many locos are here around the Greater Rochester Region with the HLCX logo? I know of only one locally which sits over by Brooks Ave. My main reason for asking is because of the Pentrex video "CSX Mountain Sub" (PA & W. VA) and there were a few in it. One number I caught and remembered was #6069.

by J.D. White

Wow! ... tough crowd.

by nessman

For the sake of local locomotive rosters - most people don't count the leased engines that only stay for a short time. You'll most likely find such engines passing by on the CSX main from time to time which can originate from just about anywhere with a destination of just about anywhere.

by SimTrains

Thats exactly what I was thinking, I'll bet I've never even seen the same leased unit twice in my life. I didn't think they were "assigned" to any specific place, they just go where they are needed.

by J.D. White

Oh is that what those are? - leased locomotives? Now I did not know that. I didn't know the railroads have a "Rent a Car" like service for locos. So does HLCX got good rates? lol. Ya might want to check out "Rent a Wreck".

by SRS125

I have seen a few rent a wrecks more then once traveling the rails in NY ATGX was one that used to show up all the time here. I rember there BN Color C30-7's departing Buffalo on there way to Selkirk only to be turned back to Buffalo with in 24 hours then get turned back again to Selkirk you would see the same loco 2 sometimes 4 times in one week they only had something like 60 locos on there fleet at the time I was seeing them.

Last Sunday I spotted the EX BC Rail SD40-2 relettered for HLCX in Syracuse, NY which I had taken pics of 2 years befor in Weedsport, NY.

As an ironic twist 5 years ago I had taken photos of one of them expariamental energy conserving White face Burnington Northern SD40-2's in Savannah, NY 2 weeks ago I saw the same unit with only its name painted out with HLCX on the sides. The number was the same and the I rembered the Graffiti mark on the engineers side of the short hood was anouther dead give away.