• Historic Passenger Trains/Cars with Showers/Baths

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by CarterB

I am aware that the PRR had a Master Room available on the Broadway, the Southern on the Crescent, and the California Zephyr had a drawing room with shower in the obs car.
What other North American passenger operations, in the past, had rooms with showers (or baths)? IIRC the 20th Century? Did any of the other transcons have such? Or even cars that at least had a shower or bath at an end of the car or elsewhere?

Moderator's Note: Title Edited for clarity 1 Aug 11 9AM CDT
  by John_Perkowski

Both the prewar and the postwar Centuries had showers in the Master Rooms. Additionally, the Century Club barbershop IIRC had a shower.

I will have to check the Santa Fe and the Union Pacific for amenities on the Super Chief and the City of Los Angeles. I know neither of them had Pullman Master Rooms, so it would be did they have barbers? I'm fairly sure UP did.

Beyond that, other Members?
  by CarterB

Other possible 'contenders' might be the Golden State/Sunset Ltd. the Oriental Ltd, Empire Builder, North Coast Ltd? Possibly the original Chief?
  by John_Perkowski

It'll take me some time, other things are high on my list. IIRC the Builder in the heavyweight era had a shower. I think I remember a photo in Dubin's Some Classic Trains