• High Line Rehab... RR Service?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by badneighbor

This was mentioned in passing in the LIRR thread, as an idea to be reopened, as proposed by the Cross Harbor RR. Sounds ridiculous, any validity to this off-the-wall rumor? Of course it would be great....

by badneighbor

there was further discussion in the thread about Rockaway Branch too.

by BMT

No doubt a VERY wild rumor.

Although, what is NOT a rumor is the fact that NYCH WON the right to keep their operations at the Bush Terminal facility. I heard that they won the federal case that was against them. Good news for local railroading! :-)

by RRChef

There is a thread on the New York State Railfan forum titleed New Shortline/Industrial RR in NYC. It's on the second page of the index. It discusses a company affiliated with the NYCH filing to reopen the High LIne. Sounds a little crazy to me.

by DogBert

BMT wrote:No doubt a VERY wild rumor.

Although, what is NOT a rumor is the fact that NYCH WON the right to keep their operations at the Bush Terminal facility. I heard that they won the federal case that was against them. Good news for local railroading! :-)
I'm not quite sure i get why they want to stay at Bush; the float bridge needs to be pumped up like a sneaker (didn't it sink?), the tracks suck, the street running must not be easy (I got photos somewhere of a crew waiting for some double parked truck driver to come back and move), and the facilities at 65 st. are in better shape...

Is there some reason for them to hang onto this line?

And anyone know anything new about who will get 65th street now that CP is backing out?

by BMT

One good reason for them to keep Bush is the engine house that's on property. There are two tracks in the barn and I believe one is a pit track. Also, they expect business to grow, and as such, it would make sense for them to have a presence on the Long Island side of the harbor. Don't forget that the Bush yard area had a loading dock for quick and easy delivery of freight to tractor-trailer.

by DogBert

BMT wrote:One good reason for them to keep Bush is the engine house that's on property. There are two tracks in the barn and I believe one is a pit track. Also, they expect business to grow, and as such, it would make sense for them to have a presence on the Long Island side of the harbor. Don't forget that the Bush yard area had a loading dock for quick and easy delivery of freight to tractor-trailer.

wouldn't happen to know if those old alcos are in the barn, do you? :)

I thought with the leased engines that maybe it was the leasing company that did work on them, thus maybe removing the need for the engine house.

Does that pipe company still unload there? I haven't been down there in awhile.