• High-Hood C425 coming to the DL?

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by scottychaos

I stopped by Gowanda, NY today, and checked out the NYLE power. I noticed that NYLE Alco C425 1013 is sporting a small "DL" marking on the cab...I can only assume this means she is going to the DL!
I have her listed on the the NY-Alcos page as "OOS bad wheels"..
I dont think she has operated in many years.
She was originally N&W 1013, which explains the high-hood.

anyone know the story here?

thanks,
Scot
  by alcodoc

The 1013 is not going to the DL. However, the 6101 was purchased and is on the way.

Alcodoc

by pablo

The question then is:

What's being used for power on the NYLE?

Dave Becker

by 2spot

Scottychaos has a website dedicated to New Yorks Alcos. http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos (scroll down) He shows an Alco S-1 and a C-425 as operating. My 'Shortlines of North America' handbook by James Kerr also shows MLW FP4A and FP2AU as operational but I tend to believe Scot more. He says they are stored serviceable.
In any case, the operating Alcos are both ex-Port Colborne Harbour units.

by scottychaos

Based on what I saw in Gowanda yesterday:

6101 was not there, Alcodoc says she has already left for the DL.

If it is true that 1013 is "OOS bad wheels"..that that only leaves the FPA's for operating power in Gowanda!

6764 was sitting out in the yard..she must be the current operating Gowanda power then.

Scot

by pablo

Yeah, that was my point....an S-unit and the FPA's? Seemd like it was a bit thin there, so I thought I would inquire, even after I saw Scotty's site.

If anyone knows better...chime in...

Dave Becker

by scottychaos

pablo wrote:Yeah, that was my point....an S-unit and the FPA's? Seemd like it was a bit thin there, so I thought I would inquire, even after I saw Scotty's site.

If anyone knows better...chime in...

Dave Becker
well..its *always* been thin there! ;)
in my experience over the last 10 years or so, Gowanda has always consisted of one or two operating units, and six or so derelict units.

Why is 308 in Arcade? and is she still there?

And I have Alco S2 #77 (former SB 77), belonging to the WNYRHS, listed on the NY-Alcos page as being located in Arcade..she is now in Gowanda.

Scot

by alcodoc

Has anyone seen the 6101?

Alcodoc

by pablo

I don't have access to a trace program at home, or else I would look. Anyone here have access to a trace program?

Next question, of course, is what it is billed as...

Dave Becker

by Alcoman

alcodoc wrote:Has anyone seen the 6101?

Alcodoc
I have...I've got parked in my driveway...hehehe

by NS59

Its at Tift Yard.

by alcodoc

Thanks, Alcodoc

by sallenparks

6101 just went down the Erie on CP at about 9:30 this morning should be in Bingo by now.

by nessman

It's well documented that 1013 (formerly Contrack 1013) had a major engine failure when it was used in passenger service back in the mid 80's.

by Luther Brefo

What ever happened to the 6101? Has it arrived?