• Help in identifying old photo location

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SimTrains

Nice old picture....Be sure to put http:// in front of your link though!

by n2xjk

I see 3rd rail. If Hudson Line, it is south of Croton.
  by ChiefTroll

Well, let's look at the clues. First, the third rail puts it on the Electric Division east of Croton or North White Plains. If it's on the Hudson, the camera is pointed east (south) because the transmission line (steel lattice towers on the right) was on the river side between Croton and Spuyten Duyvil. It is an interlocking, from the three-arm home signal. But IIRC, none of the Hudson Electric interlockings between DV and CD had home signals on single masts like that one - they were on signal bridges. So, let's try the Harlem.

There is an overhead bridge in the background. It's not North White Plains or Mott Haven, so the other possibilities are JO at Woodlawn (looking west from west of the New Haven flyover bridge), BG at Botanical Garden, VO at Mount Vernon or RK at Crestwood.

The third rail has wood sheathing, and the signal has the smaller backgrounds, so it is probably NYC after 1955 or so, when they changed over to the smaller signal backgrounds.

I'm not well enough qualified on the Harlem to make the distinction, but if I had to bet the farm I would say Crestwood. I'll stare at it some more and maybe another light bulb will come on over my head.
  by oldmanbea

I'm not well enough qualified on the Harlem to make the distinction, but if I had to bet the farm I would say Crestwood. I'll stare at it some more and maybe another light bulb will come on over my head ]
Nice thoughts, but IIRC the Harlem is only 2 tracks at Crestwood. But keep on staring, I appreciate all the help!

Thanks,
Glenn
  by ChiefTroll

I agree it's probably not Crestwood. I thought there was a siding there for 901 to pass 515 in 1960, but I guess they did it some other way.

It certainly looks like two main tracks in the distance, account only one high home signal coming toward the camera. Maybe VO?

by JBlaisdell

I saved this pic and then used Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to zoom-- there is a track cutting off the second-from-right track running to the left. It starts just after the crossover at the lower right corner and crosses behind the dwarf and where the gang is. Also, in the far distance is a platform on a curve where the 4th track runs into the 3rd (from right).

Zooming in on the signal, it appears to be facing away from the camera (I think I see the signal case and not the lens under magnification). As the dwarfs are clearly lit, the mast signal should be, too.

Also, I have a very strong feeling the photo was printed backwards. Zooming in on the worker with the maul in mid swing, it appears to be in his left hand. Only 7% or so are left-handed, so the odds are he's right and the pic is reversed.

by oldmanbea

JBlaisdell wrote: Also, I have a very strong feeling the photo was printed backwards. Zooming in on the worker with the maul in mid swing, it appears to be in his left hand. Only 7% or so are left-handed, so the odds are he's right and the pic is reversed.
Have to diasagree with you there. Not sure how clear the copy is for you, but on mine he has his back to the camera, so the maul is in his right hand, his left hand holding the bottom of the handle.

Thanks for the observations ... interesting that this does not jog anyone's memory.

Glenn

by Otto Vondrak

Cheif Troll- I dont think it can be VO... there are no highway overpasses close enough to the tower that look like that or would be that close.

-otto-

by RedSoxSuck

What about looking north from Mount Vernon West? It seems like 4 tracks are merging into 2.

BTW, As of about a year ago, Crestwood actually has THREE tracks (And there are 3 tracks all the way until it opens up into 4 just north of mount vernon.
  by Tom Curtin

I'll cast my vote for somewhere in The Bronx on The Harlem --- Botanical, or Williamsbridge.

Note commenting on a previous post: there were formerly four tracks for a brief stretch at Crestwood, passing the station. However, this photo doesn't resemble Crestwood to me.. The trees and the overpass cause confusion.
  by oldmanbea

Tom Curtin wrote:
Note commenting on a previous post: there were formerly four tracks for a brief stretch at Crestwood, passing the station. However, this photo doesn't resemble Crestwood to me.. The trees and the overpass cause confusion.
Thanks for the Crestwood info. I guess I never paid attention when riding the rails.

On the left side of the picture, where the track branches off, just above that I see the rear of a box car. Am I correct??? Would this help in identification?? And does that branch seem like a siding or a complete line?

Glenn

PS Tom from Ardsley???

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

It's looking south from North White Plains. The bridge in the background is I-287. This is a 1950's, 1960's photo. There were all sorts of tracks to the south of the station and the Holland Avenue platform.

by Mike Roque

UpperHarlemLine4ever wrote:It's looking south from North White Plains. The bridge in the background is I-287. This is a 1950's, 1960's photo. There were all sorts of tracks to the south of the station and the Holland Avenue platform.
Yeah, that seems to be correct. I'm know the Harlem Line well...I literally grew up at Fleetwood station (My house was VERY close to it). However, if this is in fact looking South from NWP, that siding is long gone. Also, I can't identify the platform (or whatever structure it is) to the left of the leftmost "main" track...that it probably long gone as well.

Does anyone have a more recent photo from a similar angle for comparison?

by Otto Vondrak

I'm starting to think that yes, this photo is taken at or near Holland Avenue platform near White Plains North station.... the track configuration has changed over the years, but when you go there today you can tell that there is room for more tracks than there are now.

-otto-