• Haydarpasa Terminal Fire, Istanbul

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Semaphore Sam

The Tunis fire reminded me of the sad fire in Istanbul destroying the top two floors of the Haydarpasa Station on the east side Istanbul. Built by the Germans over 100 years ago, it was/is a gateway to the Middle East (all the way to Medina before Lawrence had his way). The Haydarpasa fire happened in late November...it was/is a wonderful old station, 5 or so stories high, now severely damaged. It's beautiful twin on the Western side is another jewel...Sirkeci...it connected to Europe and points North, and remains as it has been for a century. Sad time for beautiful Terminal Stations in the ME.
  by David Benton

thanks for that Sam . i dont remember either station form my travels there . i arrived in Istanbul by bus , but i think i may have wandered down to check the station out .
Haydarpasa , well after a ferry ride , and a bus ride i think , to what seemed to be a feight yard , i didnt take much notice of the station building .