• GP 30 Slugs

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Engineer James

I was noticing that there are NO GP30's on CSX's roster anymore!!!! Now, unless they have reclassified them all as road and yard slugs, why did they do away with them? Personally, I think 1 ateast should have been painted in the DF scheme... it would have looked awesome! :-D

by roadster

Older units were tired, worn out, fuel hogs. Cost more to rebuild and update, than just turn them into slugs. Simple economics, unfortuanately.
  by sd80mac

Engineer James wrote:I was noticing that there are NO GP30's on CSX's roster anymore!!!! Now, unless they have reclassified them all as road and yard slugs, why did they do away with them? Personally, I think 1 ateast should have been painted in the DF scheme... it would have looked awesome! :-D
i saw them in Fostoria during Jan 25 to 27th on my trip to Ohio. they even had dark future scheme...

also if I recall right, I did saw few of them in "slug".

The one I saw in ohio is actually running. I have to check my photos to make sure that they still got the panel doors on side of chassic body.

by Engineer James

Ok, I will check to see if I can find any other pics.... I really like the design. Can anyone explain to me why they designed it the way they did?

by Engineer James

I guess I spoke too soon. Did not see this pic the first time I searched...

They still look better than the rusty ones still in the YN1 scheme. Too bad they are all classed now as slugs... kinda sad.... :(

by RichM

James, you need to obtain some reference books, and also inquire on the EMD forum. The old Kalmbach Diesel Spotters series are good, I'm sure there are many others.

The GP-30 design is the first EMD model to use a common air system, that's the ducting on the top of the locomtive that gives its unique appearance.

And Crazy Nip can probably weigh in on the slugs, when I spent time in the Tampa area, there were at laest two mated to I think GP 40's for local operations around the bay.

by scooter3798

The only remaining units on the CSX roster that have GP30 bodies are all slugs, there are no longer any ture GP30's left. The slugs were converted from a number of the fromer B&O, C&O, and L&N units as well as some units that they picked up off of ICG. Last time I checked there was around 60 of them left on the roster, all are currently mated with GP40-2's. A few of them hae been retired in the last couple of years, I know that the 2241 went not too long ago, but for the most part not many have fallen off of the roster. However as roadster said these units just can't match up with todays locos and I doubt that any of them would have lasted past the mid '90's had they not been converted to slugs.

by sd80mac

scooter3798 wrote:The only remaining units on the CSX roster that have GP30 bodies are all slugs, there are no longer any ture GP30's left.
thanks. maybe i wasn't payattention to body real close. but i thought that one still had panel doors on sides. all slugs have no panel doors, corrct?

I had very very little sleep during that trip.. LOL

by scooter3798

As far as I know all of the slugs had the majority of the side doors removed. They did leave a couple doors on the slugs but only one or two to access the fire extinguisher at the rear and some other electrical stuff near the cab. All of the fans are also removed except for the one on the dynamic blister.

by scharnhorst

I've seen one of these GP30 Slugs kicking around New York which was assigned to Lyons Yard for a while then it was replaced with a GP15 Road Slug then back to a GP30 till the yard closed.

by Engineer James

They wre pretty cool. I kinda think of them as dinosaurs..... :-D

by U-Haul

by sd80mac

sd80mac wrote:I have to check my photos to make sure that they still got the panel doors on side of chassic body.
no photo from last trip... i recall that this local usually run out of the yard, south of Tower F at evening. therefore no photo.. Sorry...

by Engineer James

All of them really need paint though.... The older YN1's were lookin really bad.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

In this pic I don't see any connectors for slugging on the short hood, but I do see ditch lights.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=85764

Can the Locomotive consist be operated from the slug (fully functional control stand)?