• Good spots in new jersey take photos of freight trains.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by jtrain22

Does anybody know any good spots to take photos of freight trains? Also are there any spots that are easy to get to pubic transportation? Like NJ commuter rail or light rail or by bus any help would he helpful thanks.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Conrail-Pavonia Yard, Camden (near RiverLine)
Morristown & Erie Railway, Morristown (near NJT station)
Conrail Yard, Red Bank (near NJT station)
Conrail Metuchen Yard, Edison
Conrail Lehigh Line-NJT Roselle Park or Union stations
Bound Brook (NJT)
NYSW-Ridgefield Park
  by R36 Combine Coach

There's still Hillburn Yard in Suffern and local industry along the Bergen Line, as well as down to NS Croxton Yard in Secaucus.
  by GSC

Collingwood Auction, Routes 33-34 in Howell. If and when SA31 comes through, you can get the whole train in a side shot, plenty of parking lot to set up the shot.

Brown's Yard is wide open for whole-train photos.

Roselle Park NJT station. Stand on the platform while one of those westbound freights comes through. Not only a great approach shot, a huge rush besides! Just about what it must feel like before someone gets hit, safely behind the fence on the center raised platform between tracks.
  by sullivan1985

R36 Combine Coach wrote:There's still Hillburn Yard in Suffern and local industry along the Bergen Line, as well as down to NS Croxton Yard in Secaucus.
That is true, but I'm talking major thru-freight that used to run all through the day 7 days a week.
  by blockline4180

sullivan1985 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:There's still Hillburn Yard in Suffern and local industry along the Bergen Line, as well as down to NS Croxton Yard in Secaucus.
That is true, but I'm talking major thru-freight that used to run all through the day 7 days a week.

Check out the NY forum and someone in there is hinting at a daily train or 2 coming back on the Tier in within the next few years!
  by jtrain22

Thanks for the repies everyone! Also how many freight trains a day come though red bank, Roselle Park and bound brook? And is the yard in edison far from the NEC station? Also is there a yard in red bank where you can take pics of the freight trains idle?

@ GSC are you talking about 33,34 highway route or bus routes?

And wheres the location of brown yard?
  by NJTMatt

I have done some home work on this one... Three Bridges in the parking lot of the old deli is good and is right off of RT202. Best time is in the morning for NS east bounds and afternoon for west bounds. Next would be Manville for NS and its the widest open area to shoot in the whole state. West Trenton is not bad either, mostly favors westbound shots except 1st thing in the morning you can grab some decent eastbound shots. Phillipsburg, I have seen some good places but I have not personally been there. I don't recomend Port Reading Jct any more because this time of year there is a lot of brush and the only way to get a decent shot is to Trespass, plus there are a ton of ticks in the brush. You may also want to try South Palinfield for some NS and CSX.
  by Jtgshu

You can pretty much scratch off Lakewood/Lakehurst/Red Bank off, unless you are in it for the "thrill of the hunt" as the once, sometimes twice, weekly freight is very hard to pin a schedule on.

A much better area/location would be in South Amboy/Perth Amboy - there are several freights that travel on the Coast Line daily inbetween Wood and Essay going inbetween the Amboy Secondary and Chemical Coast and working the steel plant. You can get very nice shots of the trains going over River Drawbridge, as Transit383 has shown in his many pics of various trains there.
  by GSC

I like the Collingwood Auction location as I see it as a "Eureka! Look what I found!" when the weekly SA31 outlaws there.

Easiest way to find Brown's is to take the Old Bridge exit on Route 18, then turn north paralleling the old C&A, and a little ways up, there's the yard on your right. You can also access it via Sayreville or South Amboy.
  by SecaucusJunction

sullivan1985 wrote:If it was 12 years ago I would say anywhere along the Bergen County Line or Southern Tier. Not any more...
I'd say you gotta go back a bit further than that to have any real good action on the line... Probably to the early days of Conrail
  by njt5140

blockline4180 wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:

Check out the NY forum and someone in there is hinting at a daily train or 2 coming back on the Tier in within the next few years!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Ya got a better chance of Lindsay Lohan sobering up or the Tops meat company starting back up first!