Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Dataview Publishing

by glennk419

The old girl still looks darn good despite the fact that she's picked up a few more rivets. It also looks like a fresh coat of paint that hasn't been lettered yet. Is that why she was outside?

by metman499

I doubt it. She was out there the whole time I worked there this summer. If I remember right the PRR 4935 and RDG 800 were going to receive work after the X-54 and the covered hopper (I am really bad with car classes). I believe the paint is actually a black primer to stave off rust before the next round of restoration.

by Dataview Publishing

Believe Nick is right re the primer. She looks ( at least from a hurried once-over) to be in pretty good shape for her age.

The hopper was in the paint shed in her "new" PC colors, while pinstriped 4935 was in the carbarn - I'll be posting some pics of these too, although the tight confines in both locales kept me from getting any overall shots.

Chris

by MACTRAXX

Everyone: This info on 4800 is good to see! I recall taking a tour of the RMPA site privately and asking why it was not under cover-the reason is that the Lancaster Chapter-NRHS was the owner-not the museum and I noticed that myself it was beginning to rust thru on spots. The original PRR paint style was fine-hopefully that what they will restore. Someone in the know can post if the RMPA has taken title to 4800. I feel it should be treated with a little TLC due to the fact that it is just one of a kind. 4935 looks great inside RMPA. The GG1 has always been one of my favorite locomotives. MACTRAXX

by pennsy

Okay Fellas,

What is going on here ??? Last time I saw kl# 4800 she was Brunswick Green with cats whiskers. What happened ??? She looks naked in basic black.