• French Trains !

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Jeff Smith

AX-330 wrote:
David Benton wrote:Your use of "strange piece of kit " made me laugh . a very english saying , though usually they would say "a nice bit of kit" to describe a good piece of machinery , or maybe a good looking woman . but again , i admire all our european contributors command of english .
Well, I used it to intentionally describe a very debatable kind of kit, at least from the user's point of view. My intention to make it sound strange has obviously succeeded ;)

Let's just say that I watched an awful lot of Top Gear in the early 2000s and my english teacher in Gymnasium hailed from Sacramento, CA. And I may still remind you down there that the English language still is a street-dog (as my word might have been censored) mixture of Plattdeutsch and vulgar Latin.

Or that I was taught. ;)

Plattdeutsch! Das kann ich nicht; meine Familie stammt aus Schwaben. Aber sowieso willkommen!

Translation for my Ami rail buds: Low-country German (an area around Hannover up by the Baltic/North Seas)! I can't speak that, my family came from Swabia (an area in SE Germany near the Swabian Alps). But in any case welcome!