• Freight trains in push-pull mode?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by SouthernRailway

I saw a CSX freight train rolling over a bridge around exit 70 on I-85 in Spartanburg County, SC, and there was a regular CSX locomotive at the end of the train, with the cab facing the rear of the train.

Do freight trains operate in push-pull mode like passenger trains do? Or was the locomotive just being towed along, but not providing power?

Thanks.
  by Dewoc19

From my understanding CSX doesnt run DPU trains which is what an engine on the rear or middle of a train would be, a DPU (distributed power unit) so its possible it could have been in tow or they were using it as a run around unit to head back in the opposite direction later on
  by Thunder

In Illinois they run a loco on the rear as a way to help a move. Daily the Q556 and Q 557 run with a unit on the rear. Not being used as power until it does its flip to come back.
  by spRocket

Thunder wrote:In Illinois they run a loco on the rear as a way to help a move. Daily the Q556 and Q 557 run with a unit on the rear. Not being used as power until it does its flip to come back.
I've noticed that the CSX trains on the New Rock Subdivision (Joliet-Utica via Metra/RI) often have one of their GP15T units on the back, and I always figured that was to assist with switching along the route.