• First major ROW work on LV Perth Amboy Division since...

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by GandyDancer

Driving through Perth Amboy the other day, I saw that the new multi-track bridge carrying the LV across New Brunswick Ave is now in place. I'll bet that's one of the few LV bridges to have been updated in about 50 years. I tried to get the chunk of concrete that had the checkerboard and diamond herald but the crews wouldn't let me in for safety reasons.

Also saw lots of CWR has been dropped off along the old main paralleling the 440 Connector road and brush has been cleared back along State St. heading up towards the Chem Coast. The old connector to the NY&LB/Chem Coast diamond has been railtrailed.

Nice to see anything happening with such a historic line.

by TAMR213

Wow, is that the like with Perth amboy yard? The line that is visible from the road from Raritan center to the Parkway? I thought that thing was abbandoned! How much traffic is on it? How is it serviced? WOW!

by GandyDancer

Erik - I don't know. I think Raritan Center is serviced by Edison yard off the NEC. I think everything remaining along the LV - the Perth Amboy Industrial track, is serviced off the Chemical Coast end.

If you continued along Woodbridge Ave. past the Center and the Parkway & Turnpike entrances, the next traffic light you hit would be where the ROW used to cross the road as it went to Metuchen and eventually South Plainfield. You can still see it easily. It's severed in Keasby right at Industrial Ave., I think, just where it would enter the east end of Raritan Center.

by wis bang

The line from Perth Amboy thru Metutchen crosses Rt 9 & the G.S. Parkway and stays north of Rt 440/Rt I-287 and is suposed to be a rail-trail. There is a branch that turns off to cross the ramp from Rt 9 So. to Industrial Ave. & Smith St. in Keasbey, all East of Raritan Center. It still has rails under the weeds. It served the industrial end of Crows Mill Road [carborundum & gallo asphalt] then thru Praxair to follow the south side of Industrial Ave. Everything east of Industrial is not used. It is served from the Center down to the crossing into HATCO Chem and sometimes cars are stored East of the crossing into Hatco.

There used to be a line looping back along the edge of the river under the Parkway & Rt 9 bridges that ran back to the southern secondary just b//4 the bridge to So. Amboy.

Even more obscure is the remains of a line that ran north between Hatco & Clearview ave. It crossed King George Rd. and used to connect back to the Perth Amboy to Plainfield ROW. If you drive King George Rd. from Fords towards Clearview Ave, as you decend the hilldown to clearview, in the wasteland on your right you'll see a partially burried section off the ROW. The Turnpike interchange would have covered this ROW. Street Atlas USA 2003 still shows all these lines as if they were all intact; as if the map still shows the spur lines that served the Arsenal instead of the actual surrviving rail inside Raritan Center.

by GandyDancer

wis bang wrote: There used to be a line looping back along the edge of the river under the Parkway & Rt 9 bridges that ran back to the southern secondary just b//4 the bridge to So. Amboy.
That line serviced the terra cotta factory that used to be where the Hess tank farm is today. That factory supplied terra cotta building blocks used to build the Perth Amboy post office, among other local landmarks. The Valley shipped terra cotta blocks from a number of producers along the Greensand branch west of and east of the arsenal (Raritan Center).

It also connected with the CNJ's terra cotta line at a wye in the copper works yard just west of the NY&LB. Here's a 1905 map of the area:

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=NJ

wis bang wrote:Even more obscure is the remains of a line that ran north between Hatco & Clearview ave. It crossed King George Rd. and used to connect back to the Perth Amboy to Plainfield ROW.
I think it also serviced the sand and gravel businesses that used to be in that area.

by TAMR213

Is the Greensand Branch to the west of Raritan center still there? What about the branch that goes north from Nixon? The line from Nixon and Heyden to Keasbey, Raritan Jct. and Perth Amboy? What about the branch that runs directly Paralell to the river from around Keasbey to Perth Amboy where it connects with the NJCL and also towards the line from Raritan center to Perth Amboy? This whole area seems pretty interesting when it comes to operations. How are these lines serviced (from where, how, etc)? What industries are on them? If they no longer exist, when were they abandonned and why? Thanks for any info!

by wis bang

The line along the river is burried. I used to work for the trucking co. who's yard is under the Rt 9 bridge. We covered the whole yard w/ concrete using the leftovers from Weldon's trucks. Their redi-mix plant was between our yard & the Hess First reserve tank farm. Some of the rail is visible west of the bridges in Woodbridge's municipal yard heading toward Carburendum.

The whole shoreline is littered w/ broken Tera Cotta. The whole area was part of the Tera Cotta complex. The EPA cme in, years ago 'cause someone saw black stuff in the water. They excavated the east side of our property & uncovered some of the remains of the kilns. Clean ground water was flowing through the kilns & being stained black.

Alot of the area was covered w/ trackage for the arsenal & alot was retained for the industrial park. The line from the west end of Raritan Center That went thru Bonhamtown Crossed Rt 1 at the Ford Plant.

Some of the greensand branch serves the Heller industrial park, west of Middlesex county community college. Street Atlas shows it going under the turnpike before dead ending before Rt. One But I've never seen it crossing under the turnpike.
  by railroadcarmover

The line that ran under the turnpike was torn out in the late 90's. There was a switchback at the end of the line by PSEG. There was also a small yard there that contained a hopper car and a locomotive crane. All is scrapped now.

Raritan Center was at one time riddled with trackage everywhere.

When i first worked for Durham Transport there was "disconnected" trackage all over near the waterfront up to the occupied area of the park.
I remember seeing a double tracked line with crossovers that was out of service since the 60's. Soon after it was torn out.

Raritan Central has rebuilt the trackage along Olympia Ave. This track had previously not seen a train since the 70's.

The Perth Amboy running track from Metuchen to Raritan Junction is now a trail. From the end of the Industrial Ave track there is a connection over to the "continued" part at Raritan Junction up towards Perth Amboy.

There once was a plan to use this line to get trains into Metcuchen yard. It was also used for ballast trains and crane movements. Not sure what the plan is now though.

Raritan Center continues to be a busy interchange point for Metuchen CSAO trains.

Raritan Central operation at Heller Park does not have trackage rights to Raritan Center. CSAO brings inbounds / takes outbounds nightly from Heller Park.

Raritan Central reinstated the #6 yard track in their Lower Yard. All new rail.

Raritan Central now has GP10 #7563 on the property. Low nose unit.

I have moved my 2 trackmobiles off to one of the spurs deep in the center and set up a shop. 3 units are kept here with 2 more coming in off lease from a customer in Mass. Unfortunately this site is off limits to the public.

Ok, i am done rambling.

by Sir Ray

wis bang wrote: Some of the greensand branch serves the Heller industrial park, west of Middlesex county community college. Street Atlas shows it going under the turnpike before dead ending before Rt. One But I've never seen it crossing under the turnpike.
Speaking of Atlases and trackages, on the branch described above (which railcar mover say went to a small yard), what's amusing to me is that Hagstrom placed a symbol right there on the line (at Meadow Rd and Midvale Rd) indicating a 'freight station' - there is another 'freight station' symbol a little east, near the intersection of Mill Rd and Executive Ave. - marked Nixon (I remember a distributor/warehouse there - one of many in Heller Park), and wonder exactly what constitutes a freight station to Hagstrom. heh, even worse, Hagstrom shows ANOTHER Nixon 'freight station' in Bonhamtown, right by the former Ford Plant (well, there is a yard there, so that makes sense). This map does show the Raritan Center in a more realistic fashion than other Atlases I have seen (in other words, not much trackage south of Olympic Drive/Sunfield, and only a few non-existant lines - even these follow what I think are clear ROWs, such as a line West of and Paralleling Fieldcrest...
What's really odd is that the connection from Bonhamtown to Raritan Center is not shown, and that's a very active line. It does also show the entire loop line along the Raritan River shore discussed above, which served the 'Terra Cotta' industries - they call it Raritan North Shore RR, and they even thrown in a connection from this line to the Perth Amoby line which is mapped as crossing Smith St. at Stockton St.

So, railcar mover, from what you described, is there eventually supposed to be a route from Metuchen to Perth Amboy, via Bohnamtown, Raritan Center, the route along Industrial Hwy, through Keasbey (Hagstrom sez Keasbey 'freight station' at Crow Mill Rd :p - BTW, the crossings here are in sad, sad, sad shape), then north across Smith St and 440 via bridges to Raritan Jct, and thence East to Perth Amboy?
Cause, well, that would be cool and everything :-)

by GandyDancer

TAMR213 wrote:Is the Greensand Branch to the west of Raritan center still there? What about the branch that goes north from Nixon? The line from Nixon and Heyden to Keasbey, Raritan Jct. and Perth Amboy? What about the branch that runs directly Paralell to the river from around Keasbey to Perth Amboy where it connects with the NJCL and also towards the line from Raritan center to Perth Amboy? This whole area seems pretty interesting when it comes to operations. How are these lines serviced (from where, how, etc)? What industries are on them? If they no longer exist, when were they abandonned and why? Thanks for any info!
The west end of Greensand is quite visible. Leave HP on Woodbridge Ave. and cross over Rt. 1. At the light, turn right on SilverLake Ave. Follow to the end and you will run beneath the trestle. If you pull into the small office complex on the right just before the trestle, you can follow the ROW almost all the way to Rt. 1.

The short branch that ran north from Nixon serviced one of the many sand and gravel operations in the area. Most of those freight "stations" were nothing more than team tracks. The Valentine's and Ford's stops on the main line were just that but were also passenger flag stops. The trolleys running parallel on Amboy Ave. provided better and more frequent passenger service between Perth Amboy and Metuchen. But that ROW today would make a great light rail line!

by GandyDancer

Sir Ray wrote: ... they call it Raritan North Shore RR, and they even thrown in a connection from this line to the Perth Amoby line which is mapped as crossing Smith St. at Stockton St.
And still in evidence. The old PSCT trolley barn now houses a business on Smith St. called Royal Dinette. The tracks ran alongside it (possibly this is how trolleys were delivered) and one block south curved alongside a curious trangular building that at one time had trackage on either side of it. The tracks continued across Fayette St. (crossing signs still up) north to the upper yard (Flagstaff foods property) at the 440 connector. I do remember drills blocking Smith St. occasionally and the bus drivers trying to come out of the trolley barn yelling at the LV flagman to "get a move on."
Sir Ray wrote:So, railcar mover, from what you described, is there eventually supposed to be a route from Metuchen to Perth Amboy, via Bohnamtown, Raritan Center, the route along Industrial Hwy, through Keasbey (Hagstrom sez Keasbey 'freight station' at Crow Mill Rd :p - BTW, the crossings here are in sad, sad, sad shape), then north across Smith St and 440 via bridges to Raritan Jct, and thence East to Perth Amboy? Cause, well, that would be cool and everything :-)
It would be very cool indded.

by dave76

Whats the line that crosses the parkway, then rt 440/287. This is visible when coming off the driscal bridge and merging onto rt440/287 west, the bridge paralles rt 440 over the parkway?

by Sir Ray

dave76 wrote:Whats the line that crosses the parkway, then rt 440/287. This is visible when coming off the driscal bridge and merging onto rt440/287 west, the bridge paralles rt 440 over the parkway?
Not sure what you mean by Driscal Bridge, but what you describe seems to be the section of the former Perth Amboy line we were discussing above - indeed, this is the section of the line (from Raritan Jct East to Perth Amboy) that I was asking Rail car mover if they were reactivating (the section west is supposed to become a rail trail).

by Sir Ray

Not a whole lot to add to this thread, but since I was in the area took a detour through the Raritan Center/Heller Park (and thence to parts West).
Looks like a lot of building is occuring south of Industrial highway in Keasby- new distribution centers the sign says, so I'm wondering if they will get the option of rail service (if this was 1970, I'd say yes - if it was 1990, I'd say no - but since I saw brand new distribution centers in Greenville/Port Jersey built with rail access, well, we can only hope).
Then I traveled up what I thought was Clearview, but must have been Meadow Rd instead, looking for that ROW that wizbang mentioned - I did find a branch in fairly good shape crossing Meadow, south of the Kraft distribution facility (that's the only facility I can remember, but there was several, one clearly with a spur in good condition) - is this the continuation of the line which crosses Parkway Place in Raritan Center, and then continues north of a (usually locked) Green fence? (BTW, I also saw a very garish pink and cream palace catering hall - wow).
Although I realize that Raritan Central has taken over Heller Park just recently, I was I guess a bit disappointed that no changes have occured (I wonder if Raritan Central service could have saved the Quaker State facility (it's been, what, 5 years now?), and if any plans are afoot to restore service to the GE facility - I guess not, but still) - now, following the Greensand branch across Meadow Rd, I notice a fairly busy looking chemical plant owned by Akzo Nobel (with a funky line drawing of a guy with outstretched arms - rather European ... OK, a quick check on the web indicates that the company is based in the Netherlands, and so is definitely European - but the buildings at that facility definitely seem older, clearly some pre-Akzo Nobel firm for decades that eventually got broyght out). Anyway, are any plans afoot to restart service to customers like this in the Heller Industrial Park (actually, is this facility even in the campus limits even) - I mean, large industrial facilities which require bulk quantities of chemicals and other hazardous products should be the very definition of rail freight customers - heck, event this month's Trains magazine says so.
Finally, what's interesting is that while my Hagstrom Atlas did a fairly good job of mapping the raillines in the area, it did a horrendous job of mapping the streets in the area between Silver Lake Ave and Rte 1 - specifically it shows a lot of steets as through, when in fact they are dead ends or no-outlet loops, or just plain not there. Anyway, yep, the trestle of that branch still towers over Silver Lake, and the road then winds down a bit to the PSEG facility (has PSEG been at that site for a long time, perhaps burning coal in a former power plant and so needing the branch?).
One thing, I did not see any office buildings there - I did see some buildings south of the Trestle (beige, with large No Tresspassing signs), and I did see construction of new warehouse units on Glendale Ave (which dead-ends - unlike on my map). What did the branch serve in this area, anyway? Silver Lake Ave. seems a street rather poorly suited for the heavy truck traffic that large industrial facilities usually generate.

by wis bang

I've worked w/ the Azko plant. It is renamed & I can't remember the original company. The plant was making a catylist use in the production of plastic resins usint Titanium Tetra Chloride or TiCl4 [tickle four]...I was invilved in a DEP drill at the plant in 1990. It was run by James Ross, then Bureau Chief of Emergency Response.

If you came from Fords avenue on Georges road west Past the weird catering hall, you pased the partially burried line I was speaking of. it' within 200 yards of the Intersection of Georges Rd & Clearview. After the houses & businesses on the right end, there's kinda wasteland & what looks like a drainage ditch flows from Georges rd towards the turnpike. the ROW is on the downhill side of the ditch kinda' across the street from the driveway into the businesses on the corner & I always thought it was an abandoned spur 'till I saw it on the Street Atlas. Once you reach the intersection, that whole side looks like it's under construction until the Holiday Inn [ex. Ramada]...