• FGLK news regarding Corning Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nessman

Interesting.

The sale of the Corning Secondary to FGLK has been in the rumor mill for some time now. I guess the article finally gives it some credibility.

As for a rail passenger center in Geneva... other than excursion trains, and the occasional Amtrak special to Watkins Glen, there is no passenger rail service at all down there. There will be public bus service in Seneca County later this summer if that's what they meant.

by nessman

Saw this in the Syracuse paper as well...

http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststanda ... 028575.xml
$150,000 for a study on extending a limited-access portion of Route 5 in Auburn and upgrading Finger Lakes Railroad to accommodate commuter train traffic from Auburn to Syracuse.

by joshuahouse

If it were to happen, and it isnt a bad idea, what do you suppose they would use for cars and power? I'm not sure I'd want to use the excursion cars for commuter travel several times a day. Does Ontrak have any extra RDCs, or would they have to be brought in from somewhere else?

by nessman

Well, it's just a study. Probably more of a feasibility study - see if there's a market for commuter rail, what issues commuters now face, etc.

by sd80mac

If the money and schedule are right, I will go for it to ride it!!

by Otto Vondrak

Sounds like FGLK is jumping on the passenger-dollars bandwagon. The NYSW is getting money to upgrade their freight tracks for possible future use as a passenger corridor between Syracuse and Bingo.

-otto-

by roadster

Part of the Lyons Amtrak Station planing includes the possible connection with the Finger Lakes Railway excursion and/or comuter trains to Geneva/ Watkins Glen/ Auburn. I have my reservations about placing an Amtrak station in Lyons NY. I believe the cost of upgrades, track realignment, signaling improvements, outweigh the potential financial gains. Recent articles have stated that they expect 34,000 riders a year at Lyons. I don't think Syracuse or Rochester get that much. But, if they got the money to spend, who knows what may happen.

by nessman

No Amtrak station will ever produce financial gains. Amtrak, like most forms of public transportation is heavily subsidized.

by joshuahouse

Can anyone name a public transit system that ISN"T heavly subsidized?

by Otto Vondrak

Well it looks like we're set up for a lot of potential in the next five years or so... funds are in place for a Lyons station (Amtrak will not pay for any new station construction, it always comes from the communities)... which means a possible transfer point if the FGLK or some other operator decided to run seasonal trains to Watkins Glen for special events. Geneva is considering a new station which FGLK could also use. As far as a regular commuter service, I would not hold your breath. But I could certainly see the potential for occasional seasonal excursions (specially round race season at the Glen)!

We'll see. First thing first, I'd like to see what FGLK will do in the next couple of years.

-otto-
  by bwparker1

There is an editorial comment in this month's Trains magazine fro Mike Smith, president of the FGLK, trying to dismiss the notion that shortlines may be ddomed because of growing car weight. He discusses there gorwth in business, specifically mentioning Solvay Paperboard and the Food Warehouse in Geneva that I think is expanding even more next year. Check it out if you get Trains.

Brooks

by nessman

While I'm sure that Mike Smith is correct - but there's no doubt that the 286,000 lb requirement will undoubtedly be the final nail in the coffin for a few marginal operators with poor track conditions, deteriorating bridges and little, if any money.