• Fellheimer & Wagner, Architects

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by arnstg

The Railroad Station Historical Society Bulletin Vol. 38 No. 6 has a 10 page spread on these architects who designed many NYC stations.

The article covers their careers and details the stations they designed along with a picture of each.

NYC stations include Buffalo Central Terminal, Cincinnati, Elyria, Erie, Hamilton,On. , South Bend, Springfield, Ma. , Terre Haute, Utica, and Youngstown.

Each one gets about 1-3 paragraphs plus a photo.

If interested, go to their site: www.rrshs.org

Click on RRHS Bulletin and look for ordering in red.

Cost is $2.50 plus $1 postage.

Great background info.

by BaltOhio

I haven't seen the bulletin, so it may have covered this, but Fellheimer's introduction to the NYC was working with Reed & Stem on Grand Central Terminal. He also designed all of the stations and other structures for the long-defunct New York, Westchester & Boston, a New Haven subsidiary that opened in 1912.

by arnstg

Yes you are correct. What you describe is included in the article.

For the NYW&B, it mentions the Bronx, Mamaroneck, New Rochelle, and White Plains stations. Unfortunately. the only photo is of White Plains.

Suggest hunting around on this site if you are interested in a particular station. It seems to be quite complete.

Good luck.

by BaltOhio

Hmmmm...Mamaroneck is a surprise. Fellheimer did all stations, towers, shop, etc. on the original NYW&B line, from E.180th St., Bronx, to White Plains and North Ave., New Rochelle. But its extension between New Rochelle and Port Chester was built alongside the NH right-of-way, on its west side, and the existing NH stations were moved west to accommodate. Mamaroneck was one. That station was built in the 1880s, I believe.

I believe that two NYW&B station in the Bronx are still active, serving NYCTA's Dyre Ave. line -- Pelham Parkway and Gun Hill Rd.

Oh yeah, and Fellheimer also designed by grandfather's house in Scarsdale. My grandfather was an NYC official and they were good friends. In fact, Fellheimer gave my father a job after he graduated from college -- although that abruptly ended with the Depression. Fellheimer was still very active in 1952, when I interviewed him for my college thesis.

by arnstg

The article has one sentence dealing with Mamaroneck: "Fellheimer, Long & Stern designed the depot." No further description.

The article says he went to work with them in 1902 as a junior partner "just before they won the competition for Grand Central Station."