• FEC Employment

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by braves2905

anybody on this board familiar with hiring out on the FEC? any info would be appreciated
  by Noel Weaver

braves2905 wrote:anybody on this board familiar with hiring out on the FEC? any info would be appreciated
Try the link below, I pulled it off their web site.

Noel Weaver

[email protected]&subject=Website Contact

by GOLDEN-ARM

From first-hand experience, I will relate this. If you are looking to enter train service, the FEC will occasionally post jobs, for trainees. The training location is usually Hialleah (Miami), and you will be required to provide your own lodging, for the duration. Training pay was $65.00 a day, last year. It might have gone up, since then. You will train in the yard there, for 5-6 weeks, before being allowed to mark-up, to an extra board, at a location where the railroad says you are needed at. If you survive this, you will be able to work your way up, possibly to an engineers position, if you desire. If you don't currently live in Florida, you should be aware of the real estate market here, that is going to make it difficult to find affordable housing, in a decent area. The east coast of Florida is very hot, as far as real estate goes, and this makes it as difficult to have a decent standard of living, as it does to be on the west coast, trying to live in California, on a railroaders salary. Regards :-D

by braves2905

That's good information, thank you. I was working out of Jacksonville with Amtrak and before that with NS in Atlanta. I qualified out of Hialeah, not too fond of Miami. Do you know what their policy is on engine service promotion? Thanks again.

by slchub

I wonder what the pay is like on the Florida Central RR NW or Orlando? I checked with the Georgia Central (Marietta, GA) and they start their guys out at 27K a year, max at 44K. Mon-Fri daylight jobs with T&EY guys doing it all, track, switching, running, etc. A little too low in the pay for my taste. I wonder if Pinsly (FCRR) is the same way?

by slchub

Spoke to the MRO at the Florida Central RR in Orlando. He is willing to start Hoggers at $13.00 plus overtime. Non-union shop. I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm still looking to move to the MCO area but with CSX wanting you to pay $5K to UNF for an interview, Amtrak's budgetary crisis and FEC not hiring, I'll have to stay put.

by Noel Weaver

slchub wrote:Spoke to the MRO at the Florida Central RR in Orlando. He is willing to start Hoggers at $13.00 plus overtime. Non-union shop. I'm afraid I can't do that. I'm still looking to move to the MCO area but with CSX wanting you to pay $5K to UNF for an interview, Amtrak's budgetary crisis and FEC not hiring, I'll have to stay put.
This should probably be on a different topic but I will put it here in the
interest of you reading it. Tri-Rail which is the commuter outfit that runs
between West Palm Beach and Miami intends to increase their service
even more when the work finishes on the New River Bridge here in Fort
Lauderdale.
Go on their web site, link below, maybe you can find something, I think
they have a section for employment.

www.tri-rail.com

Noel Weaver

by braves2905

To find work in the T&E ranks, you need to call Herzog Transportation in Miami. They handle all the hiring, and operations of the train crews.

by GOLDEN-ARM

You might also inquire with the "First Coast Railroad", operated by Rail-Link, a subsidiary of Genessee and Wyoming. Also, the Seminole Gulf frequently hires, as well as the South Central Florida Railroad, in Clewiston. Florida, while a GREAT state to live in, really sucks, for earning a living wage. It's VERY anti-union, as well as a "right to work" state. Between the kids, and the retirees, there isn't much left, for a decent paycheck. The previous two groups mentioned, will accept part-time work, at below standard wages, for the obvious reasons. TriRail is now a Herzog entity, as mentioned, and they rarely need to advertise, as the CSX keeps a steady supply of "disgruntled" workers available, who want a stable lifestyle. As far as FEC promotions, it a seniority deal, when slots are available, in the infrequent engineer classes. A small road, with good pay, and a "killer" run, from end-to-end, means very low turnover rates, once someone puts in the time, to stay the first year. Regards :wink:

by Noel Weaver

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:You might also inquire with the "First Coast Railroad", operated by Rail-Link, a subsidiary of Genessee and Wyoming. Also, the Seminole Gulf frequently hires, as well as the South Central Florida Railroad, in Clewiston. Florida, while a GREAT state to live in, really sucks, for earning a living wage. It's VERY anti-union, as well as a "right to work" state. Between the kids, and the retirees, there isn't much left, for a decent paycheck. The previous two groups mentioned, will accept part-time work, at below standard wages, for the obvious reasons. TriRail is now a Herzog entity, as mentioned, and they rarely need to advertise, as the CSX keeps a steady supply of "disgruntled" workers available, who want a stable lifestyle. As far as FEC promotions, it a seniority deal, when slots are available, in the infrequent engineer classes. A small road, with good pay, and a "killer" run, from end-to-end, means very low turnover rates, once someone puts in the time, to stay the first year. Regards :wink:
Some of the Florida East Coast trains swap crews on the road, in other
words a crew out of Fort Lauderdale will go north on 218 until they meet
train 117 at which time both trains will stop and the two crews swap trains.
In that way, they are home every night. I think at least some of the
trains out of Miami also swap on the road enroute.
Noel Weaver

by slchub

Called HR yesterday and spoke to their Director. The only position available at this time is an extra board crew caller. They anticipate TE&Y openings for experienced RR's after the first of the year.