• fastest train in Africa

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Thomas I

As long as Morrocco belongs to Africa, that's not correct, because they have 100mph/160km/h-trains since years...
  by lpetrich

Johannesburg unveils high-speed rail to Pretoria | My Sinchew
More like a fast commuter train -- the Johannesburg - Pretoria distance is 64 km / 40 mi. Like
San Francisco - Pittsburg, Fremont
New York City - Brentwood, Croton-on-Hudson, New Brunswick
Though that system reminds me of BART, it makes much fewer stops, and its average speed is about twice BART's.

Gautrain is not the first:
The cities are already served by a network known as Metrorail, a service mainly for the working class. Even the Metrorail express train takes three times as long to travel between the cities, stopping in townships along the way, but for a fare about half of Gautrain's 49 rand ($7, five euro) tickets.
But it isn't quite complete.
The final six kilometres of the line, expected to open by the end of the year, will connect Johannesburg's Rosebank business district to the city centre. That leg was delayed because of water seepage in the tunnel, which contractors are still working to resolve.
There's also some discussion of extending it, like to Soweto.

There's some discussion of more typical high-speed rail, notably Jo'burg - Durban, though the Drakensberg Mountains in between will be difficult to cross. Johannesburg-Durban High Speed Rail - Wikipedia