• Excursion Anecdotes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by theShrubber

I thought it might be fun to hear about others’ rail excursion tales.

When I was kid my dad was friends with a fellow who was running an excursion as a fund raiser for turning abandoned rail lines into recreation trails. This was around 1980. I don’t remember where the trip started or the destination, but it was somewhere in NJ. The trip had “deluxe” train cars, which were more modern cars, with sealed windows and air conditioning, though I don’t think the cars were very new; and “regular fare” cars which were old fashioned with no A/C, windows that opened, and toilets that just dumped onto the tracks. Passengers in those cars were to use the bathrooms in the deluxe cars. At 16-years-old, I was tapped to be a conductor for one of the older cars. Some of my jobs were to put out a step stool and help people on and off at station stops, and shoo people out of the vestibule during the ride. “Too dangerous,” I would tell them, but the vestibule is where I rode for most of the trip with my head out the window (or maybe there was no door and I just leaned out the doorway? Can’t remember, but that would make more sense as a reason to discourage passengers from riding in the vestibule).

As the day got on, the weather got warmer and the A/C units in the deluxe cars started to fail. And the bathrooms in the deluxe cars also started to break down, so people had to eventually start using the ones in the old cars. Some people started coming to our car from the deluxe cars to hang out and get some heat and stuffy air relief. To get better ventilation, we opened the end doors in my car (the doors the lead into the vestibules). The doors swung open, with a metal spring clip to hold them open, but on one of the doors the springy part of the clip was too weak to hold the door. There was a piece of nylon cord dangling from the ceiling, and I thought if I wrapped it around the spring clip it would be enough to hold the door open. The cord was a little bit short, so I gave it a pull to use as much of it as I could, when I heard, “PSSSSS.” “CRIPES! The emergency brake!” I let go, the hissing stopped, the train didn’t stop, and after several minutes no one had come to holler at me. So without tugging on it, I gingerly wrapped what I could around the spring clip, and the door stayed open. (The car was getting warm and I had nothing else to use.)

We stopped some place for lunch, where they had some activities set up and food. That’s about the extent of what I remember. I think quite a few passengers, expecially the deluxe ones, were not entirely happy customers, with the warmth and the broken A/Cs and everything. And the guy running the trip was running around crazy and stressed-out dealing with all the headaches. But I had fun being a crew member.

Hope others will share some of their stories.
  by BigDell

That was great!
Does anyone do excursions anymore? The last notable one I did was the NHRS/Tri-State debacle of 1988. The infamous NKP 765 to PA... I had no particular planned schedule for the day so I didn't mind the issues, I had a great seat on the train, an open window and lots of photos and movies. What bummed me that year were the cancelled (at the last minute) excursions. I had paid for the "Chemical Coast Excursion", which i was REALLY looking forward to (it's trackage I'd wanted to add to my list). They cancelled it and I pursued a refund from Tri-State for ages, but of course that was like talking to a wall. I can only imagine what it would have been like if we'd had social media back then. Would have brought them down. :-)
Anyway, other than a short trip to the MMC several years ago during the NJT Hoboken festival, I haven't really seen any excursions in the tri-state area anymore. Are there every any special trips on the Raritan Valley, the Hudson or the NEC/NCL?
  by gravelyfan

theShrubber wrote:I thought it might be fun to hear about others’ rail excursion tales.

When I was kid my dad was friends with a fellow who was running an excursion as a fund raiser for turning abandoned rail lines into recreation trails. This was around 1980. I don’t remember where the trip started or the destination, but it was somewhere in NJ. The trip had “deluxe” train cars, which were more modern cars, with sealed windows and air conditioning, though I don’t think the cars were very new; and “regular fare” cars which were old fashioned with no A/C, windows that opened, and toilets that just dumped onto the tracks. Passengers in those cars were to use the bathrooms in the deluxe cars. At 16-years-old, I was tapped to be a conductor for one of the older cars. Some of my jobs were to put out a step stool and help people on and off at station stops, and shoo people out of the vestibule during the ride. “Too dangerous,” I would tell them, but the vestibule is where I rode for most of the trip with my head out the window (or maybe there was no door and I just leaned out the doorway? Can’t remember, but that would make more sense as a reason to discourage passengers from riding in the vestibule).

Hope others will share some of their stories.
this sounds like the June 1982 trip by "Recycling Railroads" on the NYS&W. Ran with the then new (to NYS&W) ex Auto Train dome cars, except just prior to the trip two of them were torched, forcing the railroad to substitute 3 open window coaches. Ran with a GP 18 and RS 1. I know of a few people who volunteered on that trip (including myself). 31 years ago, wow! The volunteer crew boarded in Little Ferry, train deadheaded to Passaic Junction to board passengers then we went back to Little Ferry for photos, then west to Butler (photo stop at Oakland trestle westbound), then back to Passaic Jct to drop everyone off, then back to Little Ferry with the empty train. I recall the train stalled on the grade going into Butler.
  by GSC

I wish I could find the pics. The last trip I rode was the on the NYS&W with the Chinese Mikado on the east end and diesels on the west, out of Butler NJ. Late 80s?

It was nice for a change, as I got to play passenger / railfan instead of having to work the trip in some capacity. So this is what it's like . . .

I'll have to dig up the details of where the turnaround was, but we had a long train and were running at a good clip over Susie Q's well-maintained line. I loved the look on people's faces at the grade crossings on the eastbound leg. That little Chinese Mike was working it!

Stick my head out of the window and get hit with cinders (had eye protection) while I grab a few pics. A nice memory.

I'm sure some of you guys have date and other info from these trips. I had a blast.
  by ladder2

NYS&W ran trips in the80's from Little Ferry to Warwick (just past the farm property) and return; also from Lincoln Park to Morris County on NJT tracks,
#142 had hard luck on one of the Lincoln Park trips, it had a main bearing seize up and the return trip was with the E-8's and a GP-18 for power. Those were the days! 142 was towed back to Little Ferry over the Boonton Line for repairs.
  by njmidland

How about the 1993 trip using RDC M-1. Originated at Newfoundland, went to Susquehanna Transfer with photo stops at Maywood, Rochelle Park and Little Ferry drawbridge. Then westbound held at Passaic Jct. for an eastbound stack train. Then a straight shot to Warwick. Back east with a side trip down the ex-Lehigh & Hudson River at Sparta Jct. to end of track and finally back to Newfoundland. Rare mileage and recreating the past with the photos at Maywood and the Little Ferry drawbridge.