• Ex LIRR Alco C420

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by Mr GP10

Hi folks Tom from Queens NYC. I read somewhere recently that an Ex LRR Alco C420 has ended up with the Delaware Lackawanna RR. Is there any truth to this? Does any one have any recent photos of this unit at the DL shops? If I remember correctly this unit should be in a grey/Yellow paint scheme. This was LIRR # 211. Now the DL has 2 211s lol. Regards. :-D

by Alcoman

Hi Tom,
Yes a x-LIRR C420 # 41 is at the D-L...for storage only for its owner.The D-L did not buy it.
BTW Tom, I am told that several LIRR C420's are still in Canada at the scrap yard; one of which is supposed to be in good shape. I have been trying to reach te scrap yard to confirm this however my e-mails are goung unanswered.
Alcoman :-)
  by Matt Langworthy

A little off topic but LAL #420 is an ex-LIRR high-nose C-420. She's probably the most frequent road power on the "core" LAL line- very dependable. BSOR has another painted into their colors, too.

by Legio X

I believe LAL's ex-LIRR C420 is the 200, the first of the class for the LIRR, delivered in 1963-64. BSOR's ex-LIRR C420 is the 221, which was the last of the first group which began with 200. In 1968 a second group of eight C420's were delivered to the LIRR. These were for freight service, and came with the special Hi-Ad trucks. Unfortunately, the short-sighted LIRR management sent these for scrapping at Naporano in New Jersey in 1989-90.

by Alcoman

Legio X wrote:...... In 1968 a second group of eight C420's were delivered to the LIRR. These were for freight service, and came with the special Hi-Ad trucks. Unfortunately, the short-sighted LIRR management sent these for scrapping at Naporano in New Jersey in 1989-90.
Not quite correct. The LIRR requested bids on the last group of C420's and NIMX was the winning bidder. They were to be sold to a railroad in South America but that sale fell apart. Unable to sell them to anyone else(too high a price@ $ 75,000 each), they parted them out.

by Alcochaser

Unit is former R&S 41
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=186122

As old ALCos go, she looks pretty good. Perhaps they could fix her up to go with the R&S RS18 they have

by Alcoman

Alcochaser....
Looks can be deceiving...The primemover is rusted(frozen) so bad that it cannot be barred over. I am not sure if it can be "unfrozen" or not.

BTW, there are other former LIRR C420's still in Canada avaliable for sale.
Marine Diesel LTD is the broker for them now.
  by pablo

Do you mean the dealer Beloit Girard? I'm probably wrong, but they list several C-420s, RS-18's, and even an M420-TR. Their site hasn't been updated in some time, though, so it might not be correct. Is this the dealer you meant, or is there another that has some ALCO's around?

Dave Becker

by Alcoman

Dave,
The original dealer(Beloit Girard) that was selling the C420's is now allowing Marine Diesel to sell the remains of those that are still there.
The other M420TR (26) is/was used at some shortline in Canada at one point and is in good shape. I saw a photo of her once and it has been repainted blue.
The site is out of date so it is useless to even go by that information.
Keep in mind that those C420's and RS-18 are in poor shape. I would be surprised if any of those are salvageable for anything but parts.
  by pablo

They looked rough anyway, and it has been some time, it seems, since those sites were updated. I'll bet you're right. Did I take your post to mean that the M420TR is not there anymore? I k now there's one in Syracuse someplace, but is that other one safe?

Dave Becker

by Alcoman

The 26 is reportly being used on a shortline.Yes it appears to safe for now.
BTW, The one in Jamesville is getting beat up by vandals. I hope that something is done to save that one as it is close to operating condition.

by LIRRNOVA55

Seen her today. . looks great.
photos to come tommorow

by LIRRNOVA55

as stated. .

- paul

by Alcoman

Alcoman wrote:The 26 is reportly being used on a shortline.Yes it appears to safe for now.
BTW, The one in Jamesville is getting beat up by vandals. I hope that something is done to save that one as it is close to operating condition.
I was refering to the M420TR # 27. :wink:

by Mr GP10

Wow seems like no body has posted at all here on this subject for the year 2006.......... On to my questions What is the latest with the # 41? Is it still with the D-L? If not does any one know where it might be? Thank You to whom ever replies.