• Eurostar makes Guinness Record for longest HSR trip

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Irish Chieftain

From ComingSoon.net...the one controversial point about it being that it was used to transport the cast of "The Da Vinci Code" to the Cannes Film Festival.

Anyway, the details of the trip work out to:
  • Non-stop trip between London and Cannes
  • Distance is about 883 miles, time taken 7 hour 25 minutes
  • Average speed for this trip works out to about 119 mph
Given that higher average speeds would be possible for all-land journeys, this portends well for trips over the 1,000-mile range...
  by george matthews

Irish Chieftain wrote:From ComingSoon.net...the one controversial point about it being that it was used to transport the cast of "The Da Vinci Code" to the Cannes Film Festival.

Anyway, the details of the trip work out to:
  • Non-stop trip between London and Cannes
  • Distance is about 883 miles, time taken 7 hour 25 minutes
  • Average speed for this trip works out to about 119 mph
Given that higher average speeds would be possible for all-land journeys, this portends well for trips over the 1,000-mile range...
The train was covered in an advertising all-over vinyl for the film. The BBC news showed it at Waterloo and again at Cannes with the actors getting off. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4986232.stm.

The best news is that the critics at the first showing of the film panned it. One said it was "criminally boring".

In the winter Eurostar runs skiing specials to the Alps at Bourge-St-Maurice every weekend, and in the summer to various French southern destinations. Cannes may be the furthest, but they have been to Marseille and Bordeaux before. Also La Rochelle.

When the CTRL is open I hope there will be German ICE trains able to use the new line to St Pancras. In that case there should be through trains to Koeln and Amsterdam. Amsterdam should be technically possible on the new high speed route through Antwerp which I have been watching for some years being built.

But the real problem is Immigration (British). Immigration doesn't want people to be able to get on at Amsterdam and off at Brussels. Unless a long distance train can take people onintermediate journeys it is difficult to make it pay.
  by Thomas I

george matthews wrote:
When the CTRL is open I hope there will be German ICE trains able to use the new line to St Pancras. In that case there should be through trains to Koeln and Amsterdam. Amsterdam should be technically possible on the new high speed route through Antwerp which I have been watching for some years being built.

But the real problem is Immigration (British). Immigration doesn't want people to be able to get on at Amsterdam and off at Brussels. Unless a long distance train can take people onintermediate journeys it is difficult to make it pay.
ICEs to London? Not possible because of extra safety-laws for the tunnel....
And I dont believe that DB will buy ICE for the Channel tunnel.
And there are also no place in Cologne for the extra Eurostar-Perrons they will be needed for the check-in procedure....
  by george matthews

Thomas I wrote:
And there are also no place in Cologne for the extra Eurostar-Perrons they will be needed for the check-in procedure....
They would need to be modified. But Eurostar is basically a French TGV modified for tunnel safety and British loading gauge. The CTRL is to the larger loading gauge.
  by Thomas I

george matthews wrote:
Thomas I wrote:
They would need to be modified. But Eurostar is basically a French TGV modified for tunnel safety and British loading gauge. The CTRL is to the larger loading gauge.
I believe it is not possible to make such modifications on ICE-Trains.
Those are not only small adjustments...
If one thinks alone of the strict fire protection guidelines.