• European railroads

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by NJTRailfan

Is it possible to take a train from Rome, Italy to florence and Venice and then on to Basil and Zurich in Switzerland without changing trains or if a change in nessessary is it within the same terminal?

Is it also possible to take a train from Italy to Austria or is it better to take a train to Switzerland and then from there go to Austria like Saltzberg and Vienna?

Reason why I ask is because when I get back to the states and I'm out of the Army I would like to see these three countries by train or is it better to fly some of the local airlines there like Swiss Airlines, Austrian or Alitlalia?

Thanks
  by george matthews

NJTRailfan wrote:Is it possible to take a train from Rome, Italy to florence and Venice and then on to Basil and Zurich in Switzerland without changing trains or if a change in nessessary is it within the same terminal?
Yes there are through trains.
Roma------- 19.07---- 22.25
Venezia ------- 00.43---- 05.55
Sorry about the formatting. I can't make it look right.

However, changing at Padova provides plenty of connections, and is better for a day journey. Trains are more frequent than hourly.
I assume you will spend time in Venezia. Remember you don't need to book in advance (Reservation) for most of these trains.
You can go from Venezia to Basel

Venezia ---- 17.44
Basel -----02.38
But you would do better to change at Milano for more convenient times.
For example:
Venezia ---- 10.00
Milano ------12.55
Milano ---08.10 ----13.10
Brig ------------- 15.24
Basel---- 13.10

If I were travelling through Switzerland I would want to take as many interesting routes as possible. For example I would take the metre gauge line from Interlaken to Luzern and then on to Basel. Change at Brig for Interlaken.
Is it also possible to take a train from Italy to Austria or is it better to take a train to Switzerland and then from there go to Austria like Saltzberg and Vienna?
Yes, you can take a train from Firenze or Bologna over the Brenner pass to Salzburg. If you are starting at Venezia, change at Verona. Change at Salzburg for Wien.
Reason why I ask is because when I get back to the states and I'm out of the Army I would like to see these three countries by train or is it better to fly some of the local airlines there like Swiss Airlines, Austrian or Alitlalia?

Thanks
#

There is no need to fly to any of these countries.[/quote]