• Ethanol Plant - Medina, NY

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

by pablo

Awww, John, you're a stinker...I'll bet you already know!

But, in the sense of diving into the pool first, my guess for a crew change point is....Schenectady.

Dave Becker

by RS-3

There's no place in Lockport that can hold a train for a crew change? I wasn't advocation storing cars in Lockport yard, just using FRRR crews and power. I'm not sure the advantage to FRRR using CSX power and crews to switch the plant. It seems to me (and I'm only speculating, guessing really) that FRRR is missing out on most of the action (and money) letting CSX do all work. Plus I can't imagine CSX providing the plant with as good a service as GVT would.

I note the B&H took over the former NS line to the Bath and runs solid tank trains to and from the LPG facility there, using B&H power and crews. The distance is comparable to that on the FRR. It seems to work and I suspect is a good money maker for the B&H. (Why else did NS give it up?)

As to interchange point, does it really matter if CSX is doing all the work anyway? (Beyond the small cut FRRR will get, but I'd think the real money is in serving the plant themselves.)

I'm assuming the plant will have their own switcher. No way I would depend on CSX to keep me going when I need it. GVT yes, CSX no.

RS

by WNYP431

Whoops! Was all that out loud? Dave, I stink, but to make up for it I'll promise not to jump in the pool until later....that way there will still be water left for the rest of you.

Oh, I suppose you could get away with a "Dukes of Hazard" crew change in Lockport, but all it'll take is one ambulance or fire truck not getting through to someone in need, and they'll be doing it somewhere else. The length of time it will take 70 cars to roll through town at 10 mph will be long enough. I can't see farting around swapping the power there, so that's probably out too. Seems if they stop it anywhere in town for any length of time, there's bound to be a problem.

Whatever the Eagles Nests' decide, it'll be good for both roads and a boost for the area.

Decisions, decisions....what will Christmas bring?

by dummy

I really dont understasnd why CSX will be doing the work.. Is GVT underpowered?

by nessman

Logistically it makes sense for CSX to go the distance to Medina... CP does it with the grain trains down on the D-L. CSX did it once with about 50 box cars they stored in Brockport a few yeasr ago. But when it comes to using the same CSX crews switching out the plant, the hangup will be outlawing before they can make it back to Buffalo. Will the GVT pilots be allowed to run the CSX power?

Would make better sense if the Falls Road interchanges in Niagara Falls using trackage rights over the Lockport Secondary. My guess is that it would take a good 2 hours or so to make it from Frontier to Lockport via rail unless you have slow orders or other delays along the way.

Dumb question - there's an industry just west of Lockport Yard (east of Delphi) - who switches that? CSX?

by RS-3

Actually CP does not run the grain trains on the DL. The DL does. They do use CP power most of the time, but that's it. Other than the CP power CP has zero to do with the grain trains once they reach DL rails. That's the same arrangement I would have expected on the FRRR, except they don't really need the run-through power. (I'm sure they would/do pay dearly for the run through power.)

RS

by NS59

I was kind of betting on the use of the FRR trackage rights into the Falls. Seems it would be a win/win situation.

As for the customer just West of the Lockport yard.... That would be the other (2nd) Jamestown Container facility in Lockport and it is serviced by FRR. The FRR owns the tracks to Heathe St in Lockport.

Dave

by RS-3

That make sense. Agree re win-win. Does the FRRR ever use these trackage rights now? If not, any idea why? Or why they got them in the first place?

RS

by clearblock

RS-3 wrote:That make sense. Agree re win-win. Does the FRRR ever use these trackage rights now? If not, any idea why? Or why they got them in the first place?

RS
I am not sure of the present situation. I believe the original arrangement was limited to light power moves between FRRR and their Niagara Transfer switching operation at the Falls.

by Challenger3985

Was just down in the area by the plant last weekend and work still continues. I was on Route 31a w/o my camera. I noticed a few Circle concrete platforms that were in the main construction area. I'm thinking those are probably the supports for the holding tanks. No buildings are erected yet, but if I remember correctly I think I noticed some foundations going in.

Wish I had my camera, but least progress is still continuing.

by med-train

There were stacks of ties sitting on the edge of the rail yard Sat. afternoon. At least the first load has arrived. The yard construction was supposed to start by the end of November but this is the first sign of activity. :-D

by Challenger3985

Good to know. I take it this stack of ties are viewable from along 31?

by med-train

Ties are at NY-31A end of the new yard.

by Challenger3985

Today was a very easy day at college, got out early and decided to head to Batavia (CP 406) to do some train watching. Well, things were slow and I got bored quickly so I said to myself, knowing that I had my camera with me, that I would drop by Medina to take some new shots of progress.

I was very surprised to see the amount of work that they have done since a few weeks ago when I last came down. Under each photo will have a brief description of what is in the image.

Images Are 640x480 Resolution:
Date Taken: 12-13-06

Notes: Last time I took a picture from this location (31a) there was an old building foundation that was crumbled and in my way, but not any longer. They built that bank up, which was soft and mushy and I almost got stuck taking this image. As you look at this picture, like I stated in a previous post, the bases of the tanks are present. To the left of the picture you see the ties that med-train mentioned. To the right, the new RAILS!!!!

Notes: Well, look at that, they are laying down the ties and rails, sweet! I wish I could have zoomed in more, but I am limited with my Kodak EasyShare camera. I left the bank just in time because less then a minute later, a cop car can rolling down. Uh oh.... Phew, safe!

Notes: Thought I would take some pictures of both the entrance/exit points. This would happen to be the East part of the wye. Taken along route 31

Notes: West part of the wye.

Notes: A look down the siding.

Notes: A Further look down the siding.

This concludes my update, I hope you guys enjoy these pictures and feel free to add comments!

-Earl
Last edited by Challenger3985 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mark Heard

Wonder if they will be receiving any of the plant construction materials by rail? That would prove to be an intersting site on the line.