• Erie Jamestown Freight House?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

I can't find this building on google maps. It was supposedly on Chandler St and concrete. Thoughts? Thanks.
  by lvrr325

2 or 70 River St. Look towards tracks. Shows from air as long white rectangle.

Based on 1953 aerial and your description this is what's left, at one time appears to have extended all the way to Chandler St., aerial shows four tracks between this and a second structure parallel to it. Google search turned up book excerpts indicating it was added on to several times.
  by pablo

Charles, send me a private message. I can get a pic for you. I thought I had done this many moons ago!
  by Jamestown1931

NYDEPOT,
I found this thread while doing a Google search for information related to the Erie freight houses at Jamestown NY. I can't tell you how glad I am to find someone who is interested in this besides me. Here are some of the things I have found, hopefully, they will be helpful to you.

I have 4 pages from the 1930 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Jamestown, NY, Vol. 1 in jpg format on my computer from research I did in a university library that had a subscription. Together they show the Erie Railroad Inbound and Outbound freight houses and the track arrangement that supported them.

I believe the building you can see on Google Earth is the concrete portion of the Inbound Freight House:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/James ... 79.2353259

I believe this photo is the west end of the Inbound Freight House:

Southwest corner and south side of the Inbound Freight House:

?? East end of the Inbound Freight House with Allied Furniture Co. in the left background ??

If you have been able to collect information that supports or corrects this, please let me known.

Dan
  by nydepot

Yes, I got photos and GPS info just within the last week. See the Existing Stations thread. Thank you for the photos.