• EMD SD40 series official thread (covers all variations)

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by MEC407

Thanks!

by Peter Radanovic

I don't know as to where the air-tanks were relocated to, and the piping around the radiator fans looks kind-of weird. I can only see the air-compressor. You've gotta love the sound of 645 cubic inches a cylinder, though! :-D

Great video!

by SOU2645

The air tanks are under the radiators behind the louvered doors.
Larry

by trainiac

Some of CP's SD40-2's have the same kind of piping near the radiator fans, and they have standard air reservoirs, so I'm guessing it's unlikely that the piping is related to the relocated air reservoirs.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

The guy revving up the cold engine to that high of an RPM should be shot !!!

by dash7

ExEMDLOCOTester wrote:The guy revving up the cold engine to that high of an RPM should be shot !!!
hi call me ignorant but would that result in a cracked engine block or turbo damage like an auto? :-D dash7

by Peter Radanovic

Edited by Mod, for ridiculous content

by dash7

thanks Peter, i guess

by ExEMDLOCOTester

The Rod & Main bearings, & thrust washers have shrunk, and the lube is like molasses. The bearings take a beating with the extra clearance and the lack of oil flow. I seroiusly doubt the throttle jockey prelubed the engine per EMD direction prior to engaging the starters.

by Pilbara Rail

Dash 7,
In short, yes it's due to the dumpers.

When the original batch of units arrived they got modified on site by a local contractor who 'lowered' the cowlings.
Six units got done if I remeber correctly.

They have 2 different type of spare fans now. Well 3 if you include the modified units.

The SD40R units (ex SP) have the low profile cowls.
And the 3079 and 3080 have the 'chopped' cowls.
Along with a couple of the SD40-2 units.

The SD40R units also have a different roof profile against the SD40-2 units. Everything sticks out more on an SD40-2, possibly due to the roof line being lower?

All SD40 type units can run on the Mainline.
3078 to 3080 spend all their time in the Nelson Point yard on Pilot duties.
The radiators have not been modified, and are known to overheat from time to time.

I can supply shots if required.

Cheers,
Toad Montgomery.
  by dash7

thanks alot Toad, that clarifies for me now!,i almost gave up on this topic!and if it was alright would it be possible to show those images you have,it would be greatly appreciated! cheers,dash7 :-D

by Pilbara Rail

Sorry about the quality.

by dash7

thanks again Toad, a picture does paint a thousand words!.i can see the lower fan shroud in the middle it sorta looks like the ones the EL used on their sd45-2's for their clearance issues.thanks again, dash7 :-D

by Pilbara Rail

Here's another shot of 6415, 3079 as delivered.
You can really see the height of those cowls!

by dash7

thanks again toad,does this mean that these engines will not go through the dumpers as they are out of the loading guage? and the low clearance ones are ment to go through? cheers, :-D dash7