Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by Schaffner

What was the purpose of the electrification on the CVRR bridge over the Susquehanna in downtown Harrisburg? Was this route electrified just to move locomotives between the end of electrification at Harrisburg station and Enola yard? I think I read once, (or just assumed :wink: ) that electrified freights would have crossed the river further south, down by Columbia. So was this line under wire just to shuttle the passenger motors back and forth for servicing, or did freight trains pass through downtown Harrisburg?
  by JimBoylan

One reason to electrify the Cumberland Valley bridge would be to allow an alternate exit from Enola for electric trains, via the Main Line and the Royalton branch to Shocks Mill.
  by ExCon90

JimBoylan wrote:One reason to electrify the Cumberland Valley bridge would be to allow an alternate exit from Enola for electric trains, via the Main Line and the Royalton branch to Shocks Mill.
I'm not sure if the dates check out, but could the electrification date from 1972 (I think) when flooding from Hurricane Agnes took out the Shocks Bridge and a new west-to-south track connection at STATE (promptly dubbed the "Claypole Curve") was installed to permit the move (not previously possible without reversal) from Enola to Royalton?
  by Zeke

It was electrified for many years. Electric motors that were cut off inbound Truc-trains or hotshot freights like PR-7 and PR-9 that ran over the passenger mainline, ran lite over to the Enola motor pit in for inspection and service.The branch was usually referred to as " The CV." IIRC the east leg wye in place when I started going up to HBG in 1970.When Agnes took out Shocks Mill bridge a whole slew of eastbound frieghts began running over the Passenger main to Parkesburgh. I guess the Port road traffic took the Royalton branch to Columbia. It was some sight to see road freight running the passenger main. Quite a few knuckles and draw bars came out at Leamen Place. I fired one side of train 41 The Broadway in fall of 1972 and some evenings going west from Paoli you could meet 10-12 eastbounds between there and STATE tower in HBG.The passenger mainline was somewhat sleepy by Pennsy/PC standards but after Agnes it was a 35 freight train a day hotbed.
  by nittany4

Hi, I seem to recall seeing freight trains on that bridge a few years ago, but a quick inspection on bing maps shows the track removed a few hundred yards out of the city. Am I imagining things?

Google Earth and the like are very sad reminders how much empty trackbed there is EVERYWHERE

:(