• East Penn at Quakertown

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by RS115

Hi - I was driving through Quakertown today working on the route for an upcoming charity bike ride. I went over the tracks at (I think it was Main Street) and looked to the right. Spotting an engine sitting down the way, I doubled back and noodled my way over to the station. There was Ex B&RW/Washington Terminal RS-1 #57 in the midst of radiator work and perhaps a paint job (the windows were masked and covered) and an ex-SP U-boat of some variety (I didn't have time to do much exploring).

I'll be back through a couple of more times - are they ever active in this area on weekends? Is this an endpoint for this line or just a maintenance base?

by trackhiker

The former Reading Co. Bethlehem Branch ends about 1/2 mi. north of the Broad St. crossing and the newly renovated station.
The #57 has not been in service for some time. The windows were likely masked as vandals have often broken windows at this location.
The former SP was just recently put into service as a back-up to their former ConRail engine.
Service has increased significantly in the last year or so due to the addition of several customers to the line but there is very seldom any activity on weekends.
You can find more info about the line at this thread.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43

by trackhiker

The former Reading Co. Bethlehem Branch ends about 1/2 mi. north of the Broad St. crossing and the newly renovated station.
The #57 has not been in service for some time. The windows were likely masked as vandals have often broken windows at this location.
The former SP was just recently put into service as a back-up to their former ConRail engine.
Service has increased significantly in the last year or so due to the addition of several customers to the line but there is very seldom any activity on weekends.
You can find more info about the line at this thread.
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43