• East Brookfield Station Fire

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by dcm74

Cadet57 wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:ladys and germs, Dylan "NorthShore" Lambert is on the case!
Huh? What case? The building is being demolished...
Any source for this information or just a rumor?
  by Cadet57

dcm74 wrote:Any source for this information or just a rumor?
http://eastbrookfielddepot.com/
It is with great sadness to inform you that we learned earlier this week the Depot is scheduled for demolition due to potential liability concerns with potentially hazardous materials. We learned this at a face-to-face meeting with the executive leadership at CSX. Upon learning this news, we then requested the land to one day build a new community structure in Depot Square for the town. Today, we learned this too has been officially denied because the land, similar to the stone remains, is too considered potentially hazardous by a group within CSX. Unfortunately we live in a world today were CSX is forced to take this stand against a historic building of this kind. At least the leadership at CSX was gracious enough to meet with our group and hear our requests in person. For this we thank them. We just wish the outcome would have been different.
Not sure where Daylight gets the idea it can still be saved...
  by daylight4449

well, i don't plan on giving up. i say again, bargining chip involved with the worcester yard project. and did anyone see the most recent information
  by daylight4449

well, we'll have to wait to see if CSX will donate the land ore depot remains. apparently, they need 10 days to respond to senator brewer's contact. so we'll have more info on the depot so we'll hear about the depot some time next week. keep your fingers crossed
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:well, we'll have to wait to see if CSX will donate the land ore depot remains. apparently, they need 10 days to respond to senator brewer's contact. so we'll have more info on the depot so we'll hear about the depot some time next week. keep your fingers crossed

You need to. Calm. Down.

This is troubling news. Im not sure I understand CSX's position, especially if the property is turned over to the municipality...
  by daylight4449

you said that you didn't understand how i think the depot can be saved? two words, "media blitz". i'm trying to see if some of the major news networks will be willing to just have it mentioned on one of their programs.
  by daylight4449

i think i may have found our singing solution. i'll try and let you know if it pans out
  by daylight4449

dennis lebleau, head of the east brookfield historical society, wants to meet with me. apparently, based on info recieved by my contact, Don Lambert (unknown if i'm related), told Dennis, and he really liked my plan of a "media blitz".
  by frrc

As I've had experience with old building restoration, it would take some serious funding to restore the station into some form of it's former self. IMHO, at least $500k+. Not to mention the task of restoring the original details of the building, provided plans of it's construction still exist. Then there's the "why?" factor, as in justifying the cost of restoration, in terms of historical significance, etc.

The restoration of Worcester's Union station was a great effort, but it went over budget, and the station is being underutilized, and people to this day still question the $40+ million spent on the project.

J
  by daylight4449

CSX has pushed back senator brewer's request to some time in early january.
  by daylight4449

Councilor lukes is willing to help. she's going to also see if she can get some of the people she knows would be willing to help. so, who can deliever results? no really, who can? i'm kinda fuzy on those details ;)
  by daylight4449

if my luck holds, i hope that i can get doyle mccormack to show support of the depot. already emailed him. keep your fingers crossed
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:if my luck holds, i hope that i can get doyle mccormack to show support of the depot. already emailed him. keep your fingers crossed
1) What does "luck" have to do with anything?

2) Why would Doyle McCormack lend his support to this project? He restores locomotives in Oregon, not depots in Massachusetts.

Again, post when you have something to report (not something you're thinking about doing), you don't need to update us with every little thought that pops into your head.

-otto-
  by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:if my luck holds, i hope that i can get doyle mccormack to show support of the depot. already emailed him. keep your fingers crossed
1) What does "luck" have to do with anything?

2) Why would Doyle McCormack lend his support to this project? He restores locomotives in Oregon, not depots in Massachusetts.

Again, post when you have something to report (not something you're thinking about doing), you don't need to update us with every little thought that pops into your head.
I
-otto-
Well, my original plan wouldn't be able to pan out, so I'm hoping that if I can gather support of the well known preservation groups, then cox would think that it would be worth it to let the depot be restored. I was listening to an old tsp podcast, and it looks like the miles canyon railway had similar issues when they began efforts in the niles canyon area. I hope that we get the help in the form of another group, like how union Pacific came to the aid of the niles canyon railroad, to cite an example.