• Earthquake Question

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by slchub

Jackalope wrote:A moderate earthquake hit San Jose a little over an hour ago. I'm listening to the online scanner of UP dispatcher 58.

All trains are stopped, and the dispatcher is issuing joint track-and-times to the trains so that he can get both MOW and signal inspectors on the track to make sure it's safe for trains to move. He's telling all the trains that it's going to be awhile before they'll be able to move.
Another reason to bring a package of Ding-Dongs, a bag of chips, 3 sandwiches, a 6 pack of Coke, a box of cookies and plenty of beef jerky even when your on a Z-train, just in case. (make sure you bring enough to share with the Hogger too!) :P

And seriously as well, I always pack a can of soup and carry a little AM/FM radio with me just in case this happens. You'll at least have some info other than what you hear on the RR radio.

by David Benton

I'd imagine those double stacks of yours would get abit of a sway on in a earthquake ?

by slchub

It would depend on the severity of the earthquake. I've been over track that would make you think your in an 8.0 as you ride the rails.