• Duties of a MNRR Engineer

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Darien Red Sox

Other than operating the train what does the Engineer need to do before and after the run?

What does operating the train involve other than obeying signals ?

How long before the run does the Engineer need to be on the train?

Thanks
  by DutchRailnut

We get about 25 to 35 minutes reporting tim, dependiung on what terminal you workfrom.
In that time we have to sign in, both on paper and computer,read bulletins, have job briefing with conductor, go out to train, perform brake test and get train out of yard to platform.
The bulletins tell us of slow orders, stopsigns, heat/cold restrictions or any unusual conditions, effecting the safe operation of trains.

On a Worktrain or switcher the Engineer (if engine is not at mechanical terminal) perform mechanical and airbrake inspection, cab signal inspection and sign all pertaining paperwork.

We are required to be somewhat familiar with the equipment so we know where cutouts, bypass and other devices are, on engines we must know how to start stop reset etc. including HEP system.
  by Otto Vondrak

Welcome aboard Darien Red Sox- if you have a new question, please start a new thread. You asked about what engineers do, then you asked about signal systems. This makes the info very hard to find later on...
  by RearOfSignal

The engineer is often the main radio contact for the train, since the engineer is always stationed at a radio, since passenger train conductors are often attending to other duties.
  by MNRR_RTC

Engineers also report anything unsual to the RTC. Things like broken hangers (on the wire road), missing 3rd rail brackets, tie fires or anything else are reported usually by the engineers so that they may be fixed and not cause a major problem. There are occasions where I will ask the engineer to get a member of the crew on the head end with him or her to inspect the right of way for a potentional problem. This is done to assist the engineer while they operate the train.
  by Otto Vondrak

I was able to retrieve the full text of the thread from a Google cache. Unfortunately, one posts are deleted, they are removed forever from the database...

Here's Page 1:
Post by Darien Red Sox on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:29 pm

Other than operating the train what dose the Engineer need to do before and after the run? What dose operating the train involve other than flowing single? How long before the run dose the Engineer need to be on the train?
Thanks
Re: Dutys of and Engineer
Post by DutchRailnut on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:38 pm

We get about 25 to 35 minutes reporting tim, dependiung on what terminal you workfrom.
In that time we have to sign in, both on paper and computer,read bulletins, have job briefing with conductor, go out to train, perform brake test and get train out of yard to platform.
The bulletins tell us of slow orders, stopsigns, heat/cold restrictions or any unusual conditions, effecting the safe operation of trains.

On a Worktrain or switcher the Engineer (if engine is not at mechanical terminal) perform mechanical and airbrake inspection, cab signal inspection and sign all pertaining paperwork.

We are required to be somewhat familiar with the equipment so we know where cutouts, bypass and other devices are, on engines we must know how to start stop reset etc. including HEP system.
Post by Darien Red Sox on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks, one thing that confuses me though is the singling system that is used. Other than beeping when the train goes overspend dose it provide the engineer with any other information. What is the difference between the Metro North singling system and the LIRR system? What do people mean in the forms when the say CP and then give a number, is this an aspect of the singling system. Also I know the speed limit is around 90MPH but what is the average speed trains can go on Metro North.

Once again thanks for all of your help. I am new to rail fanning so I am just catching on.
Post by DutchRailnut on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Signaling on MNCR we only have 3 mainline signals:
Proceed cab (blinking green) = proceed by cab signal indication
Stop = top and bottom red light lit = stop
Absolute block (reds and green flash alternately) for trains with failed cab signal device, it allows the engineer to go at slow speed trough interlocking then 59 mph to next interlocking (unless otherwise restricted) prepared to stop at next interlocking.
The engineer has 4 codes displayed with lights next to speedometer, restricted (max 15 for freight or passenger) medium (max 15 for freight 30 for passenger) limited (25 for freight and 45 for passenger)
normal (45 for freight, max allowable for passenger)

CP points are interlockings or signals controlled by Dispatcher (RTC) they are numbered in these series, 0 to 75 on Hudson line, 100 numbers on Harlem line and 200 numbers New Haven line. 300 numbers on New Canaan, 400 numbers on Danbury in future and 500 numbers on Waterbury

the second digits give the mile post so cp 233 is New Haven line mp33 (approx), cp 75 is on Hudson MP75 cp 112 is on Harmem line at MP12 etc etc.
Re: Duties of an Engineer
Post by Otto Vondrak on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:21 am

Welcome aboard Darien Red Sox- if you have a new question, please start a new thread. You asked about what engineers do, then you asked about signal systems. This makes the info very hard to find later on...
~Otto M. Vondrak: Site Admin: Creative Director
Post by RearOfSignal on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm

The engineer is often the main radio contact for the train, since the engineer is always stationed at a radio, since passenger train conductors are often attending to other duties.
Post by MNRR_RTC on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Engineers also report anything unsual to the RTC. Things like broken hangers (on the wire road), missing 3rd rail brackets, tie fires or anything else are reported usually by the engineers so that they may be fixed and not cause a major problem. There are occasions where I will ask the engineer to get a member of the crew on the head end with him or her to inspect the right of way for a potentional problem. This is done to assist the engineer while they operate the train.
Post by fl9m2026 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Dutch, I think you're being a little modest! From what I've seen first hand and from reading the "Operator's Manual FL9M Locomotive (Revision A)" from MKCo., what you have to know and be able to do your job is quite a bit! For those who've never seen the operator's manual (I know you certainly have Dutch as well as other contributors here), it's over 110 pages and covers everything from location of key equipment, locomotive famiarization, operational procedures (from performing the ground inspection, to starting the engine and HEP to performing air tests, to actually running the train, knowing each panel, button and switch.... it's alot!).

It's too bad laymen (and the taxpayers who fund public transit) can't see beyond what an engineer does as driving a REALLY big car. The responsibility is huge, and their abilities must match that. They might appreciate the job these men and women do. I always have, from not only a railfans perspective, but as one who also deals with insuring the safety of the public in the nightly course of my job for the last quarter-century.

One of the biggest thrills I ever got (besides finally getting to see my screen namesake tied up at Danbury a few years ago) was taking a cab ride in a commuter locomotive. I won't say where or who out of respect for the engineer's employment (I've heard transit higher-ups do read these boards). The sensation of thundering along at 70 mph with over 200,000 pounds of locomotive under you and alot more weight than that (6 coaches) tied to our rear coupler was amazing. The throttle constantly in Run 8 to accomodate the HEP was ear-shattering. The view from 10 feet up looking down on the passing scenery was exhilerating. Then the first idiot in a car went around the crossing gates as we approached. Then another at a second crossing..... I realized that not only did the guy behind the throttle have to worry about the thousand or so commuters aft of his loco... he also had to worry about the general public trackside too... including the little b#@tard who bounced a rock off the cab roof as we streaked beneath the bridge he was standing on, as WELL as the rules of the road, signals, slow orders, etc., etc., etc.

There's times I've seriously thought about changing careers. That one cab ride experience was one of those times. My hat's off to Dutch and the others out here that actually do the job.
Post by Penn Central on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Weight and track conditions have a lot to do with how an engineer runs their train. You mentioned 200,000 lbs. A Genesis engine weighs 280,000 lbs by itself. The GG-1 in my avatar weighed over 400,000 lbs (they are all retired now, as I am). Add eight Bombardier coaches to that Gennie and you are dealing with over a million pounds of steel. Freight guys would snicker at that figure as they run trains that can go up to 10,000 TONS and stretch a mile and a half long.

70 mph is also a low figure as max speed on the Upper Hudson and New Haven Lines is 90. Amtrak guys would laugh at that as they run 150 mph with Acella equipment to Boston. Engineers need to know the speeds for all the locations they are qualified to run. With very few exceptions, there are no speed limit signs. Speeds can be changed with Bulletin Orders or a Form M. Work areas can require an engineer to stop and get permission to proceed. Once again, the engineer is required to obtain that information and respond to it accordingly.

Braking is different for nearly every train. A Harlem Line engineer can hit a 12 car platform at 60 mph and still make a smooth stop at the station but add a little rain or leaves on the track and that situation changes and requires a much longer braking distance. On Metro-North, M-7s have the best brake while a light engine always takes the longest distance to stop.

A few years ago, I met a woman named Carol Williams who plays a theater pipe organ in San Diego's Balboa Park. She can play a harmony and melody with both her hands and feet simultaneously on the instrument. An engineer needs to have a similar ability. You are blowing the whistle heading north for the Pirate Canoe grade crossing when you get a cab signal downgrade. At the same time, the RTC calls you on the radio. What do you do? If you are a good engineer, like Dutch, you keep blowing the horn, apply the brakes to suppress an ATC penalty, then talk to the RTC, all within seconds. If you think that doesn't require talent, then you don't understand an engineer's job.

When the train reaches its destination, the engineer is responsible for properly cutting out the engine (or MU cab) and assuring that the hand brake or parking brake is applied. Engineers are also responsible for reporting any mechanical defects. It seems like a lot to know, but on Metro-North there is a great fellowship among the engineers where 99% of them will take the extra time to show student engineers what they need to know while they are on OJT. Most of us remember when we were student engineers and do our best to show others how the job is done.
Post by capecodlocoguy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 am

Aren't you glad you asked an easy question? :)

Post by Noel Weaver on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:13 am

One more thing that I might add to the excellent resumes above is that the engineer MUST know exactly where he/she is at
all times. They must be able to make station stops and slow downs regardless of weather conditions, not only just leaves but
a pea soup fog or a blinding snowstorm too. I assume that many of the engineers and especially the younger ones are
qualified on all territory and that too is a lot to be up to par on.
Noel Weaver
Post by Stephen B. Carey on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 am

I thank all of you who responded. Even though I did not ask this question this thread has been one of the most informative I have seen in a while. Such a simple question can get such a complex answer.

Hats off to engineers and crew members of all railroads, but especially the men and women working at Metro-North who keep us moving in and out of New York and Connecticut. :-D
Post by CSX Conductor on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:15 am

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I searched the forum and couldn't find what I thought I read on here once a few months back. It came up in discussion today with a co-worker that I thought I read somewhere that Metro-North requires Amtrak engineers meet other criteria in addition to book of rules and physical characteristics testing prior to operating on the Mets. Is there anything else pertaining to certification that is needed?
Post by DutchRailnut on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 am

Amtrak engineers (or any other railroad enginees) must attend and pass Metro North certification classes every 3 years.
They are issued a MNCR certificate I believe, they must carry the MNCR certificate in addition to home road certificate.
Post by CSX Conductor on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:43 am

DutchRailnut wrote:They are issued a MNCR certificate I believe, they must carry the MNCR certificate in addition to home road certificate.

Thanks Dutch.
  by Otto Vondrak

Here's Page 2:
Post by Mitch on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:44 am

South Shore Line enginemen must be certified on Metra as well as the home road. All enginemen must be certified on any road they traverse.

I've said this in interviews. I've had unveilings of my paintings at universities. I've had shows of my work at galleries in New York. None of that could beat the satisfaction of my arriving at Randolph Street on time with a difficult am rush hour train with not a drop of coffee being spilled. When I was an engineman, and earlier as a trainman, I was always concsious of the fact that everyone's morning commute directs the way the rest of their day will go. It takes more brain power to concentrate on running a train than it does doing a difficult painting. I know, "Hey Mitch, we've seen your work and you're right."

In being at the helm of a train everyone can feel your every move. Especially when braking for a stop. Passengers will compliment you on smooth, graduated release stops. When I was on the board I worked a job whose engineer made terrific "stonewall" stops. That is to say he would set the brake hard and leave it there until the train stopped...with a mighty thud. In stopping with a graduated release a skilled engineman can stop a train smooth by slowly releasing the brakes at the right moment of stopping.

There was a legendary engineman I knew whose nickname was "Crash." His rush hour method of stopping was by performing what he referred to as a "Precision Dump." He had it timed just right. At speed he would just put the train into emergency, or "dump the air," and come to a screaching, uncomfortable, breakneck stop. I think the conductor's false teeth are still flying east as we speak.

As an engineman on commuter trains you have to not only obey ALL the rules and speed restrictions but realise that the lives of over a thousand people are in your hands. If you handle the train poorly they can fall, spill coffee on themselves and be burnt, or, in the case of Hegewisch passengers, screw up their makeup.

Of course as a passenger train or engineman you can meet attractive girls. Then you get married and retire.
Mitch
Post by NortheastTrainMan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:33 pm

Mitch wrote:South Shore Line enginemen must be certified on Metra as well as the home road. All enginemen must be certified on any road they traverse.

I've said this in interviews. I've had unveilings of my paintings at universities. I've had shows of my work at galleries in New York. None of that could beat the satisfaction of my arriving at Randolph Street on time with a difficult am rush hour train with not a drop of coffee being spilled. When I was an engineman, and earlier as a trainman, I was always concsious of the fact that everyone's morning commute directs the way the rest of their day will go. It takes more brain power to concentrate on running a train than it does doing a difficult painting. I know, "Hey Mitch, we've seen your work and you're right."

In being at the helm of a train everyone can feel your every move. Especially when braking for a stop. Passengers will compliment you on smooth, graduated release stops. When I was on the board I worked a job whose engineer made terrific "stonewall" stops. That is to say he would set the brake hard and leave it there until the train stopped...with a mighty thud. In stopping with a graduated release a skilled engineman can stop a train smooth by slowly releasing the brakes at the right moment of stopping.

There was a legendary engineman I knew whose nickname was "Crash." His rush hour method of stopping was by performing what he referred to as a "Precision Dump." He had it timed just right. At speed he would just put the train into emergency, or "dump the air," and come to a screaching, uncomfortable, breakneck stop. I think the conductor's false teeth are still flying east as we speak.

As an engineman on commuter trains you have to not only obey ALL the rules and speed restrictions but realise that the lives of over a thousand people are in your hands. If you handle the train poorly they can fall, spill coffee on themselves and be burnt, or, in the case of Hegewisch passengers, screw up their makeup.

Of course as a passenger train or engineman you can meet attractive girls. Then you get married and retire.

I'll sign up for the last part just kidding. :-D I've been on trains when the engineer did the "Precision Dump" but it was only when the engineer almost forgot to stop I'm surprised I didn't do a Jet Li backflip. A "Precision Dump" should only be used when ABSOLUTLEY necessary because you have to worry about the passengers and especially the people in vestibules if there are any at the time.
I don't work for a railroad I just know because I like to ride trains when I have time to do so.
Post by Darien Red Sox on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 pm

Only once was I on a train that made a relay fast stop. It was one of the through trains from Danbury and the engineer was not one of the regular engineers or at least I had never seen him before or never saw him again. I am guessing that he primarily worked the Harlem or Hudson line and was unfamiliar with the New Haven. The stop caused some vestibule doors to slam shoot and one or two things to fall from the luggage racks.
Post by Darien Red Sox on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:46 pm

Now that we know some of the stuff an Engineer dose how dose one go about becoming an engineer? It seems like a much better and more challenging job than sitting in an office somewhere and doing the same old boring paper work all day.
Post by Otto Vondrak on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Darien Red Sox wrote:Now that we know some of the stuff an Engineer dose how dose one go about becoming an engineer? It seems like a much better and more challenging job than sitting in an office somewhere and doing the same old boring paper work all day.

You might want to read our "Hot Times" column for some "on the job experience" and then consider asking your hiring questions in our Employment Forum.

http://railroad.net/articles/columns/hottimes

viewforum.php?f=2
Post by Mitch on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Darien Red Sox wrote:Now that we know some of the stuff an Engineer dose how dose one go about becoming an engineer? It seems like a much better and more challenging job than sitting in an office somewhere and doing the same old boring paper work all day.

It's the equvalant to being able to play a flawless game of "Simon Says" for 8 hours, 6 days a week.
Boring it is not. Challenging it is.
Mitch
Post by Mitch on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Mitch wrote: Of course as a passenger train or engineman you can meet attractive girls. Then you get married and retire.

NortheastTrainMan wrote: I'll sign up for the last part just kidding. :-D

Oh yea? My wife, "The Lovely Renee' " said she would never date a trainman. By the way she was the prettiest girl that rode the South Shore at the time. The fact she worked for a leading ad agency and could get me illustration work never entered into the matter. I said that I would never date a passenger. So we just got married and avoided it all. For the first 2 years she rode the train, when I was a collector (trainman, brakeman, or the watered down "Assistant Conductor" in new speak) Renee' wouldn't speak to me. Come to think of it, dinner is ready and I'm out here in the studio writing on this forum. She still isn't speaking to me.
Mitch

Post by H.F.Malone on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:37 am

Mitch, you are one FUNNY guy!! Welcome aboard this (VERY) mixed train called "Railroad dot Net".

Any places on-line where one can view your artwork? (besides your self-portrait avatar)

HFM

Post by Mitch on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:54 pm

H.F.Malone wrote:Mitch, you are one FUNNY guy!! Welcome aboard this (VERY) mixed train called "Railroad dot Net".
Any places on-line where one can view your artwork? (besides your self-portrait avatar)

H.F. and Company,
Thanks for your kind words and the welcome. I never thought to post an introductory post as at first I was merely repying to a post that mentioned me.
You may view my artwork on my website, and at the risk of being set out on a siding with the derail and switches lined and locked, here it is:

http://www.mitchmarkovitz.com

You can view my railroading work if you ever take Amtrak 7 west through Columbus, Wisconsin. Way over on the abandoned Farm and Fleet siding you might still see a tank car that we smashed the knuckle on. We set it out way over in the weeds and wrote with car knocker chalk, "Bad order pin lifter." That was in 1978. It was still there in 1982.

Oops...I forgot to mention the 24RL brake valve, a favorite. When I was a boy I used to ride the head end of Illinois Central electric suburban trains. By the time I was 11 I knew how to operate one as I would be part way in the cab. All the enginemen knew me. This caused me to start to imitate the sound air brake valves make when the brakes are being set. I would do this when riding in the car with my Pop, who by the way did the illustration work for the IC electric service. It wouldn't have been so bad had I not included the sound a controller makes, or the switch group popping. This was 1961 when a boy should be thinking about outerspace.

One would think working as an engineman would have curbed my need for this type of performance. It didn't. I have several South Shore conductors still upset with me for making those same sounds while at work. One conductor on a sunny Saturday afternoon, on the head end with me as we skimmed along in the dunes looked over and said, "What's wrong with you.?" At this time I was 43 years old. I replied,"Oh, I just miss the old cars."

I've left the railroad in 1999 because I didn't want to turn 50, and enter the new century as "The motorman that will paint someday." So there we were just the other day as I drove my parents into the city. I'm now 58, Pop is 90. We rolled up to a stop light and..."PPPPfffshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhpf, PPPPPPPPPfffshhhhhhhhhhpf." Pop just looked at me and stared. I said,"I think we got one stickin'. Swing off and check the 3rd car."
Mitch
Post by sullivan1985 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:28 pm

Darien Red Sox wrote:Other than operating the train what dose the Engineer need to do before and after the run?

Before the run most engineers will get a cup of coffee, talk to a few of their fellow co-workers and lounge around looking at the women. After the run is almost identical to the beginning with maybe a trip to the bathroom mixed in there somewhere.

Darien Red Sox wrote:What dose operating the train involve other than flowing single?

I assume by flowing single you meant following signals. Well... check the route, keep the train at the proper speed, make station stops, man the radio, make the best out of bad equipment, bang the crew around (if said crew is a load crew) or give the crew a good ride (if said crew is a good crew).

Darien Red Sox wrote:How long before the run does the Engineer need to be on the train?

Before leaving time.
Last edited by sullivan1985 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Mitch on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:34 pm

Darien Red Sox wrote:Other than operating the train what dose the Engineer need to do before and after the run?

sullivan1985 wrote: Before the run most engineers will get a cup of coffee, talk to a few of their fellow co-workers and lounge around looking at the women. After the run is almost identical to the beginning with maybe a trip to the bathroom mixed in there somewhere.

Darien Red Sox wrote:What dose operating the train involve other than flowing single?

I assume by flowing single you meant following signals. We'll... check the route, keep the train at the proper speed, make station stops, man the radio, make the best out of bad equipment, bang the crew around (if said crew is a load crew) or give the crew a good ride (if said crew is a good crew).

Darien Red Sox wrote:How long before the run does the Engineer need to be on the train?

Before leaving time.

You forgot the part about telling or receiving dirty jokes, and spreading rumors.
Mitch
Post by Jtgshu on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 pm

sullivan1985 wrote: I assume by flowing single you meant following signals. We'll... check the route, keep the train at the proper speed, make station stops, man the radio, make the best out of bad equipment, bang the crew around (if said crew is a load crew) or give the crew a good ride (if said crew is a good crew).

Before leaving time.

Uh oh the secret is out!!!! It really is just the equipment, it has NOTHING to do with the crew on how well the ride is :)

Mitch, my hat is off to you for wonderful posts and welcome to this great site. RR'ers are a strange breed, but it takes all kinds, and I literally laughed out loud when I saw in your post about you making sounds of the old equipment.......

I have followed a path so far identical to yours, starting as a "watered down" trainmen - aka ticket collector, then brakeman then conductor, now engineer, and I have had the pleasure of working with many of my current "brothers (and sisters!) while I was still a trainman (my RR doesn't promote from Conductor to Engineer - its totally seperate rosters and there is no flowing back and forth) - and some of the things they would come out with - hahahahhahaha Not a day goes by when Im not almost in tears from laughing!!

Although I dunno what it is about the job, but I find myself doing some zanny things myself, as most recently as this pre-dawn AM in Sunnyside Yard in NY when my conductor actually said to me "what the heck is wrong with you???? You REALLY need a nap!!!" :) (she also said I was acting like her 3 year old when he needs a nap!)

Maybe it has something to do with the overhead wire/voltage or the electricity being pumped out by the electric loco or the AR10 Main Generator that makes us the way we are? hahahhahahaha

BTW, my favorite brake stand is the NY Air Brake PS90 on NJT's Comet 3 cab cars. Very tempormental, and a lot of work, but once you figure them out, the ride is as smooth as glass. a feeling of satisfaction is gained at the end of each trip, knowing that you were able to run the train smoothly, something not everyone can with those cars, with a brake valve that seems to want to do everything it can to prevent a smooth ride!!! Gotta listen to and feel what she's doing and give her respect, or she's gonna bite ya, or better yet, bang ya against the bulkhead and windshield!

This is a great thread, and maybe it should be copied/mirrored over to the Employment forum? Just a thought
"It's a good thing we're not an airline........"
Post by Mitch on Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Jtgshu, and my brethern and sisterns in the service,

Thanks again for all your kind words. Even after having left the ranks 8 years ago, time hasn't changed me. After all, we're linked by that great institution where news, rumors, and fellowship reigns supreme....The credit union.

In terms of being watered down I feel for a non-promoted trainman to be elevated to the term of "Assistant Conductor," is a bit much. You know years ago trainmen had silver trim on their uniforms and only the Conductor, the "Big C," had gold. In old speak an assistant conductor was a promoted person who served as a second ticket collecting guy on through trains. A lot of roads had agreements with the trainmen where they wouldn't collect transportation on trains. The Milwaukee Road's agreement and I believe the SP's had suburban brakeman not touching transportation. The word "Assistant Conductor" looks more grand on a badge than conductor does and visualy conveys a sense of greater authority than the conductor. I've always thought that "Collector" was the best. That's what we have on the South Shore. Years ago, when I was dating one of our first female trainfolk (she was going to become a trainmaster...you should have been there) I had "Trainwomen" embroidered similar to our cap badges in bullion embroidery. It went over so well that all the ladies had them. By the way I copied the LIRR's female uniforms with respect to caps and blouses when I was the ad-hoc uniform committee of one during the '70s.

It's an all-you-can eat buffet of excitement when one rises from trainman-conductor-engineer. You see it all. I always thought being mooned while passing the girls' school was great, the conductor didn't see the value. Her nick-name was "Iron Girddle."

One late winter's afternoon, on a quiet Sunday we left Chicago for South Bend, 90 miles east. I can refer to it as an "Economy trip to Montauk." The South Shore cars have a folding engineer's seat to operate the MU equipment which for those of you not knowing, is in the vestibule. There's minimal padding on them so I became creative. Since the train was almost empty I took the seat cushions from the seats right up at the bulkhead. I tied one to the seat cushion and one to the back rest. A "Lazyboy" isn't any more comfortable. It was drizzling out and the windshield wiper slowly slid "SSHhhblip, sshhhblip." It was hypnotizing. I stayed awake for most of the trip. But somwhere, way out east after cutting our rear coach at Michigan City and speeding through the forest, the inevetable happened. My conductor had come up to the head end to do her knitting. When I came to with my hand on the whistle cord, sounding it for a non-existant crossing, she looked over and said, "Did you enjoy your nap?"

Of course there was the time one evening when I raced train 48, "The Lake Shore" where the Conrail main and the South Shore run side-by side. There was a lot of sleet on the wires. My goal was to run even with 48's diner. No one on that train realized there was another railroad next to them, let alone an electric one. The pans were sparking like mad and I could see that patrons and crew alike were staring out the window wondering what was going on. I kept right up with them, side by side for miles. All they could see in the darkness were the sparks. Then I thought I'd give 'em a real show so I drew power and dropped the pans at the same time. Night turned to day, I saw a guy at table 6 spit out his dinner, it took the conductor and me an hour in the rain to get the pan back up, 48's markers vanished into the night.

The South Shore's grading was one of an old time interurban, which the railroad was, and still is, with CTC. Several of the grades going over other railroads are like a roller coaster and are fun to come racing down at speed. I had the habit of laughing like Goofy when we'd shoot down the "EJ&E Overhead," or "The Hegewisch Slide for Life." All the conductors knew I did this, and most wished I wouldn't . One Saturday afternoon during the Christmas rush, I got mine. After leaving East Chicago the conductor slowly slid the vestibule door open, which gave me an audience of kids that I was unaware of. At 80 mph we came to the J Overhead. "Uh uh UP we go WWEEEEEEEEEEEEhahahahaa," I laughed as we descended. All of a sudden I heard laughter like I was at a taping of Bozo's Circus. There behind me were about 20 kids just laughing, and I was Bozo. I'll tell you about the time we stopped to buy potatoes and onions from a farmer later.

As for airbrake noises..It's worse if I have chili for lunch.
Mitch
Post by H.F.Malone on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:18 pm

Oh, OK, you're that Mitch.... I've seen and enjoyed your artwork many times (PTJ, etc.). Great 20s-30s style posters, and a wonderful body of South Shore work. Your "Yankee Clipper" parlor car interior reminded me of an Edward Hopper painting. Didn't recall you had time "in the seat", too. More stories, please.

If you ever get to Connecticut, please look us up.
Post by Mitch on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:02 pm

H.F.Malone wrote:Oh, OK, you're that Mitch.... I've seen and enjoyed your artwork many times (PTJ, etc.). Great 20s-30s style posters, and a wonderful body of South Shore work. Your "Yankee Clipper" parlor car interior reminded me of an Edward Hopper painting. Didn't recall you had time "in the seat", too. More stories, please. If you ever get to Connecticut, please look us up.

Yep that's me.

Edward Hopper was an early influence on my work. A lot of people have made that comparison. Norman Rockwell is my hero.

I tell a story when I do public speaking. I say that at one time I had a million bucks. I was at The Art Institute one day looking at Hopper's painting "Night Hawks." I said, "I'd give a million bucks if I could paint like that and be the engineer on the South Shore train I came in on. So now I don't have the million bucks."

Edward Hopper liked trains. His wife, Jo, once complained that on road trips as soon as he could Hopper would pack his watercolors and go off to some railroad yard. Once while being interviewed on Boston Public Television in 1961, the host of the program, Brian O'Doghrety asked Hopper,"We noticed you came up to Boston by train. Isn't that a bit old fashioned?" Hopper took off his reading glasses, looked down at the floor for a minute and said, "No... I just didn't feel like dying today." Later on in the program Hopper and his wife got into a big argument.

That's my guy.

I'm coming East in March, I'll be sending the girls down to Soho. Me and Matt just might pop in.
Mitch
  by Otto Vondrak

And Page 3:
Post by Terminal Proceed on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:13 am

Can we please keep this on topic? Which is responsibilities of a MNRR engineer. If you watn to banter about other than the topic - about art, etc please do so in PMs or emails. Keep the threads for ON TOPIC items only.

Thank You

Kevin
MNRR forum moderator
Post by Otto Vondrak on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:45 pm

Now moved to the General Discussion, so discussion of things outside Metro-North Railroad operations are now fair game. But try to keep it related to operations in the right-hand seat!

-otto-
~Otto M. Vondrak: Site Admin: Creative Director
Pos tby Mitch on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:28 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:Now moved to the General Discussion, so discussion of things outside Metro-North Railroad operations are now fair game. But try to keep it related to operations in the right-hand seat!

I just moved my seat in front of my easel to the right hand side. Gnyuck, gnyuck, gnyuck.
Mitch
Carry on, folks!!
  by Mitch

Did everyone go home already?
  by H.F.Malone

No, we're still here. Just tiptoe-ing around very carefully. Can't get the thread police upset you know....
  by UPRR engineer

If you guys want to i can send this to the "General Discussion: Commuter, Light Rail and Transit" Forum for ya, then you can talk about whatever.
  by Mitch

UPRR engineer wrote:If you guys want to i can send this to the "General Discussion: Commuter, Light Rail and Transit" Forum for ya, then you can talk about whatever.
It's all my fault. This thread mirrors my railroad career. Three mainlines in 3 months.
  by Otto Vondrak

LOL yeah that'll show me! Stop posting! That'll show that Otto character!! :-D

Either continue the discussion or move on. Sorry we had the misunderstanding earlier... but let's move on...
  by Mitch

Otto Vondrak wrote:LOL yeah that'll show me! Stop posting! That'll show that Otto character!! :-D

Either continue the discussion or move on. Sorry we had the misunderstanding earlier... but let's move on...
Ya busted up the conversation. We're all over on The Metrolink thing for now with everyone else.