Railroad Forums 

• Drone Video of Cedar Creek Railroad Trestle -- Franklinton, NC

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1594863  by mdevall1

I noticed this drone video a few months ago posted on Bridgehunter.com of the Cedar Creek Railroad Trestle south of Franklinton, North Carolina. A pretty nice view from above of the 118-year-old steel bridge. I find it interesting that the supports were built around the original stone piers from Civil War period. Quite unique. This video was posted by Rhyne Timberlake in December 2020.

https://bridgehunter.com/uploads/commen ... 13-001.mp4

In reference to this particular bridge, it is the third one at the site. The original trestle, 528 feet in length, was constructed by the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad around 1839. It was destroyed by Confederate troops during the Civil War in 1865. The Union Army rebuilt the bridge later that year so supplies could be transported through the area. After the war, the bridge was returned to the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad. The Seaboard Air Line Railroad acquired the trackage in 1900. A couple of years later, the current steel trestle was built along with the one over the Tar River near Kittrell (the second one there -- current concrete trestle was constructed in 1975). This bridge over Cedar Creek is about 512 feet long and 90 feet above the waterway. Of course, CSX Transportation now operates the rail line. As I previously mentioned in another thread, if the Southeast High Speed Rail project that is currently planned goes through the area, the bridge will most likely have to be replaced.

There are also a many neat photos of the Cedar Creek Trestle posted by Royce and Bobette Haley back in 2017. I have taken a few pictures myself, but that is primarily for public safety purposes and I currently don't have any from ground level as of yet. I'll have to go back through them and may post some later.

https://bridgehunter.com/nc/franklin/bh68589/