• Does Anyone Know Where This Was?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by trainsinmaine

This long bridge used to be on the Central Mass. in Berlin. I've never before seen the photo, nor have I read any prior reference to it. It doesn't look like the old trestle over the NYNH&H in West Berlin; to begin with, it's way too long, and I don't see any evidence of another railroad passing underneath it. It's also not clear (despite the reference to the relocation) as to whether this was on the original line (which I've never hiked) or its replacement through Boylston. I'm stymied. Anyone have any idea?

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/sea ... :1544bp94g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by trainsinmaine

My error: I should have said "original line through Boylston."
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
If you zoom in on photo, you can see a trolley , in the middle center of photo, the location is was known as( Carters ,) this is where in 1903 the B&M build a 4 miles extension from West Berlin Jct to Clinton Jct , on the Worcester & Nashua RR , this also did include a tunnel and a viaduct . The road going under the bridge is the current route 62 . The photo is showing the relocation of the railroad .
The New Haven also was in this location , having a branch that ran to Leominster, Mass .
  by jaymac

Pat Fahey » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:53 pm
The New Haven also was in this location , having a branch that ran to Leominster, Mass .
Minor adjustment: The CSX and predecessors branch still at least nominally runs to Leominster. It once ran to Fitchburg.
  by Pat Fahey

1-clnt43se-001.jpg
1-www.pinterest.com.jpg
Hi
Here is a photo and a map showing Carters , the B&M Central Mass , is on top , and the current New Haven branch is below . Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by trainsinmaine

Pat: I know the location of which you're speaking, and I recognize it in the photo that you sent. In fact, I was in that spot a few days ago. The Central Mass. bridge abutments are still there, the New Haven (CSX) crossing is still there. Nevertheless, I remain confused by the photo I posted. In what direction are we looking? Where is the New Haven --- to the photographer's rear, I assume? There's no sign of it in the photo. I am assuming that this bridge was later filled in, and that we're looking at the new roadbed that was heading off to the northwest from Carter's toward Clinton. I still can't quite get my bearings, however, probably because that crossing changed so considerably at the time of the realignment.
  by Pat Fahey

Hi
In the photo, It looks like he took it from the Southwest, because of the B&M bridge abutment in the picture. In the orginal no you do see the New Haven . So I am going to agree with you , that it is at his back . The photo does state it was when the B&M a relocation of the Central Mass.
Now even tho the photo shows the B&M at a new relocation , what to say that the NEW Haven was also relocated , just guessing on that . I will have get a New Haven valuation map , and look into it, Pat
  by Pat Fahey

Hi trainsin maine

I think I have found the answer , to Why in the photo we do not see the New Haven RR branch . The photo is showing the original right of way , before relocation . Do you have the book , The Central Mass ,, if so look at page 31 , the map shows original right of way , and relocation .
On the original right of way , the New Haven branch is not in site ,, Pat