• Do other companys besides CSX have mentors for new hires?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Hey,

Just wandering if other companies have MENTORS for new hire conductors? And are they as hard to get a hold of as CSX mentors are?

Have you ever seen the rolling tour of the yard at 10 mph following your mentors car plus 10 other new hires while you see your mentor holding his hand out the window and pointing to what you may believe to be the hump tower?

Nashvillie Newbie

by blippo

The engineer mentors at least have to ride a required number of runs on the job with the trainee. The conductor mentor hardly comes out of the office here.

by CSX Conductor

What are mentors ?!?

LOL :P

by CSX Engineer 98

Engineer Mentor.... The Person Instructing you should be a Qualified Engineer and the Person giving these required number of rides SHOULD BE A:

QUALIFIED "SLE/RFE" Supervisor of locomotive Engineer/ Road Forman of Engines......Not a MENTOR!!!!

Where is the FRA when you need them

by route_rock

WOw you must have a ton of RFE's over there. Only time an RFE rides here at BNSF G town is when your taking your final ride with him to get your card.Otherwise its just another engineer ( one who is actually an old head)
Us conductors had I guess you would sya mentors. Every trip you rode with another conductor ( supposedly one who had been here more that a year snicker snicker) But now thats all behind me ( yikes now I have to remember where I am on my own!) thank goodness for that engineer who has been out here.... whats that? you just got out of engineer class? and you have never ever worked the line we are on? Great better both pay attention. Welcome to railroading!

by LIRailfan79

The Long Island Rail Road does.

by Aji-tater

CSX Engineer 98 - The person giving you training does not have to be a DSLE. The person giving you the skills performance test ride does.

by CSX Conductor

I think what CSX Engineer98 means is the fact that on the B&A it seems as though there have been too many trainees making trips with guys that haven't had their licenses very long. Maybe I misinterperted it, but that's how I took it.

Also we had a R.F.E. that nobody liked, maybe CSX Engineer 98 was taking a shot at him, although it is a waste of breathe, especially since that guy is gone. :-)

by conrail_engineer

CSX Conductor wrote:What are mentors ?!?

LOL :P
That's the new name for the office-drones; the make-whole boys who sit at a desk three hours a day and get six 12-hour days make-whole, for as long as they amuse the bosses.

Conrail called them the Safety Commitee Liasons. CSX calls them "Mentors." Same drill, different title.

by conrail_engineer

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:Engineer Mentor.... The Person Instructing you should be a Qualified Engineer and the Person giving these required number of rides SHOULD BE A:

QUALIFIED "SLE/RFE" Supervisor of locomotive Engineer/ Road Forman of Engines......Not a MENTOR!!!!

Where is the FRA when you need them
Hell, in my neck of the woods they called them "trainers." An engineer-student would be assigned a trainer for weeks or (sometimes) his entire training period. That's not a "mentor" as the program is interpreted in Cleveland or Buffalo.

The "mentor" is a guy you're supposed to be able to take your problems to, as regards your new job. But usually the guy just shooes the new-hire out of the way; and us older heads have to help him ourselves (like it always was)

The Mentor Program is just another way to get prominent union officers and other useful idiots under the thumb of the company, by giving them desk jobs with perks.

by blippo

The last 2 conductor mentors they put in that position here had less than 2 years left to work. We all can only be so lucky to have a cushy job like that the last couple of years of work before retirement.

by CSX Conductor

In the Boston area the "peer trainer/mentor" for new hires is the UTU Local Chairman, which he gets paid for by members' dues. He is also getting paid by CSXT because he is listed on the trainmen's roster under a bogus Utility Trainman position. Must be nice to be double-dipping and not doing anything, not even fighting denied claims, since he is in the District Superintendent's pocket. :(