• Do I have what it takes....?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by SanAntoniostang

Ok guys Im just wondering what my chances are with getting hired out and if I have what UP is looking for.

A little about my self I am 23 years old and have about 70hrs of college towards a buisness management degree. I currently work as a hot shot contractor and have done so for the past 4 1/2 years. During this time I have worked 6 days a week for an average of 70hrs a week. In the last 5 years I have only missed 3 days of work. Never been late for work never called in sick and never had a vacation. The days I did miss were for family emergencies. My job before this I worked a year in plumbing and from the time I was 17 till 19 I worked at a diesel mechanic shop that did work on 18 wheelers. In the past 3 years I have driven over 300k miles with out a ticket or accident and Im an avid hunter and fisherman so I practice lots of safety as I lead a youth group and take small groups of young children hunting and fishing several times a year( hey I wish someone did it for me when I was younger so thats why I do it know) So am I the kind of guy UP is looking for. Also can anyone give me any info on the physical and strength test they perform. Some times I get nervous and my blood pressure goes up will this be a problem.

by cifn2

you sound kinda like myself, 23, looking into the railroad, no major health problems, and looking at UP. I wish you the best of luck, sorry I can't answer your questions, but I wish you best of luck. I am still waiting to hear back from them as I applied back in Jan, job still has yet to close.

by SanAntoniostang

Well I got a call from them and the invited me to a hiring session on monday so hopefully all goes well. My uncle worked for UP for nearly 40 years but has been retired for the past 7 and hes been trying his best to do everything he can do for me. He's checking with all his old contacts and putting my name out there. I didn't ask for it hes just thrilled that I would be interested in this work since his sons would have nothing to do with it.

Good luck to you too and dont give up hope yet' I applied for this job about 5 months ago and totally forgot about it and then yesterday at about 5:30 the phone rang and here I am.
  by jz441

SanAntoniostang wrote: Some times I get nervous and my blood pressure goes up will this be a problem.
You will be just fine.. :wink:
Make sure that you dont tell them how you get nervous. We all simetimes get nervous.

by Jtgshu

Sounds pretty good! Good luck with it - your credentials sound very strong, and if the UP was stupid enough not to hire you, im sure some other railroad would snap you up in a heartbeat!

The College background is a big plus, as well as the mechanical experience you had at the diesel shop - your hours show you are a hard worker, and aren't a "9-5" person.

You'll be fine - best of luck to you!