• DM&E Powder River Project...

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by Komachi

Okay,

Now, normally I'd discuss the Dakota, Minnesota and Eastern in the Midwest forum, however, the Powder River Project touches on the "Western" US, so I thought it appropriate to discuss it here.

Here in Minnesota, the city of Rochester (home of the Mayo Clinic and an IBM campus) has been fighting the PRB project like there's no tomorrow. I think Mankato, MN did to some point, but they've since been pacified as far as I know...

However, I'm just currious to know how much opposition the project faces out in the western regions that will be affected by the project. I remember there were some cattlemen who voiced oppostion when the project was announced, but haven't heard much since, as KTTC (the NBC affiliate in Rochester) and the Rochester Post-Bulliten tend to focus mainly on the events in and around Rochester and not much elsewhere.

by route_rock

Hi news I have heard is its a go. Not sure when ole Kevin and his boys are going to lay rail in but hey this is pretty cool you have to admit. No major rail line has been built like this in ages. Heck I might even lay off and go watch the golden spike and sip wine from the pilot of a steam... er ... wait never mind. It will be a normal spike and no pictures like that I bet. Oh well still it is neat historically.
  by TB Diamond

Worked out of Gillette, WY for several years. There was a lot of opposition from land owners and cattlemen's associations when the project was proposed. Am sure that this opposition is anything but dormat. But, who knows? If DM&E receives the money and government support then opposition be darned, no doubt.