• DH SHOT AT ON THE JOB!

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by CSXWife

DH called this morning, at 3am someone shot at their train on their way back from Russell. Thankfully the window was closed and the bullet shattered only the outer pane. Thing is the conductor he was travelling with normally likes to ride with the window open; however last night for some reason he didn't.

My nerves are probably frazzled enough as it is I think I am still in shock.

by charlie6017

Wow.................I hope he and you and the engineer are all okay. And to think I was looking into railroad for work. Screw that.........I'll stay a "foamer"--thank you very much.

by GOLDEN-ARM

You do have the right, to selectively engage, and return fire, you know............ :-D

by freshmeat

Unfortunately this does happen. I've also met people that have had big rocks drop through the cab when they went under an overpass. I personally had full beer cans thrown at me and a friend of mine took fire from a rifle the other night. No one hurt, but a little unnerving. If at night, we just turn off all the lights we can when we pass through those areas. Oh yeah, I keep my window shut too.

A couple of things to remember:

1) The windows are supposed to be bullet proof. If not, then darn near.

2) Those nuts are trying to hit a moving target. The locomotive is big but the crew isn't. ("Big sky, little bullet" theory)

I'm more scared of driving to and from the terminal within an hour either side of the bars closing than of some nut case shooting at me. Or working in a yard in one of those great neighborhoods they are always located in. A crew manager for the Cal. Div. tried to get me to go to L.A. or Richmond, CA. when I could not hold Needles. Yeah right! I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. Silly boy.

While against the rules, Golden-Arm has a point. What is the guy that is getting shot back at going to do, call the cops or a Special Agent and complain that the train he just shot at returned fire? Just make sure you pick up the spent ammo casings!

I know it is no comfort, but these things do happen. I've heard of more people be injured from accidents than snipers or drunks throwing rocks off bridges. I'll take my chances with a .223 cal. round missing me while I go down the track at 55 mph, than a piece of equipment that has not been maintained breaking and hurting me. That is dangerous. So far in two years of work it is bad equipment 3, snipers 0.

by cifn2

glad all have remained safe, I agree most of it is just a challenge, shooting at a moving target, just like dropping eggs, rocks from overpasses on interstates.

by CSXWife

He's actually quite calm about it. He's home for 2 days now. They told the dispatcher but I don't know if they could do anything if anything at all. I am getting a grip now (Thankfully) I'll be glad when this year is over. Way too much drama for my liking but I am coping :)

by LIRailfan79

I believe 20 or so years ago there was a sniper in Penn Station NY, an engineer got shot in the head.

by CSX Conductor

freshmeat wrote:1) The windows are supposed to be bullet proof. If not, then darn near.
I know the side windows aren't. :(

CSX Wife, whereabouts does hubby work?

by freshmeat

Perhaps I spoke in a little too general terms. I was led to believe that the windoews on our GE -9's were bullet proof or close to it. One engineer told me that if they ever get shot he, he is plugging the train and crewling up on the control stand because the windows offer more protection than the sheet metal on the side of the cab.

Anyway, I'll take my chances with guns over drunks on the streets anytime.

Remember, "big sky, little bullet"

by CSXWife

DH works out of Queensgate on training on the C&O line atm.

by slchub

The side windows still fall under the CFR part 223 glazing. Were we pulling out of Elko two years ago at night (SD70) and caught either a .22 or .25 bullet on the conductors side. Shattered the outer pane and caught the bullet. Was nice to know it worked. I am not sure a larger caliber would be stopped though.

by route_rock

Had a pool conductor while training a new hire shut her window up in Joliet by the Ball Diamond ( just came across the diamonds there) to better hear the DS when her outer pane exploded from a bullet. Doesnt bother me when they are aiming for the loco. Its when riding point that would scare me more.

by freshmeat

I wonder how the company would try to assign liability to the employee in a FELA suit who gets shot while on duty? Perhaps they would argue that he should have been wearing a kevlar helmet since he obviously knew the area was dangerous. Of course for them to provide such safety equipment would be an admission that they recognize there is a problem with people shooting at trains.

by route_rock

Oh so true! East end of Western ave is so bad the "bulls" dont even get out of their cars! Yet we are expected to ride shoves and or walk along alone! I want hazardous duty pay ( or a big gun their choice :-D )

by cifn2

lol Rear engine mounted gun turret?