• DFT Near Miss! - 5/5

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by kf7strng

The DFT had a near miss with a tractor trailer in cameron,Pa, right almost on MP 126 . on Cameron Road.I am not sure when the train ran, but I saw it at 8AM there this morning. The tractor trailer was caught in the rails i believe. Not even sure what it was doing on that road as it had a tanker trailer on it, and should NOT have been on that road anyway. The lead engine ( I forget the number, it was a pumpkin i believe) looked like it was OK, and so did the truck. The crew of the train looked to be healthy, as there were employees standing around the scene (approximately 4-6) with a high rail trucks crew, and Pennsylvania State Police were on scene.

It is entirely possible that the guy got lost using his GPS. those things can take you on roads that, depending on the vehicle, you have NO business being on. I'm not sure where the train came to a stop first, but from where it was sitting when i saw it, it appeared to be only about 10-20 FEET from the truck. (It might have pulled closer upon making a complete stop, I am unsure.) I think there were 3 units, and something like 6 cars? Anyway, if anyone has more details, please share.
  by Pete D

I'm not familiar with Cameron Rd. but I'm curious as to why tanker trucks would be restricted from using it. Normally roads will be restricted to certain weight limits or length and/or hight limits. Not specific types of trucks.
  by kf7strng

I wouldn't call it a "restriction", per se, but the road is VERY narrow in spots, and there is one particularly nasty curve that i seriously doubt any semi truck & Trailer combo can negotiate. I believe there is a low weight restriction, (less than 10 Tons), but i am not sure if big rigs are explicitly restricted from using this road. here are GPS coordinates (41.44102133986225, -78.19152116775513), it's the road labeled "cameron rd", obviously.

Also, I have more info about this event. It seems that the crew went south first, early that morning, and upon attempting to return the truck was on the tracks. The crew WAS alerted before hand I believe. The truck was on the tracks around 6am, and the train was not around then.