• Deutche Bahn in the UK

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by philipmartin

Link to the Wiki article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DB_Cargo_UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo: DB loco in the National Railway Museum, York.
Here's a YouTube of the 59206 pulling empties at Acton yard. It looks like an EMD. Here's a comentary by the photographer. Apologies to our German friends for the simulated German accent here.
"I took this Video from the bridge over the entrance to Acton Yard. I'd been there about Twenty minutes or so when I spotted a High Vis jacket aproaching in the distance, It turned out to be an Eastern European Police Woman who asked me vot i vas doing, I flashed my camera at he, and she asked vi vas I takink pictures, I told her that I liked taking pictures of trains. She then told me to stop, when I asked why she sugested that It was an anti terrorist thing, I discussed the idea of terrorists and railways with her for a short while but could not come up with a use for a Digital SLR camera in such activities.
She then proceeded to tell me I was parked on a double yellow line and asked for my details, I gave her my business card and said to her if she needed an electrician to give me a call.
Before I left I asked her if, when she spotted me on the bridge, did she think I was a posible terrorist, she said no of course not.
Why did she bother in the first place?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTAaoHJE8II" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by george matthews

The locomotive is actually British. The paint is merely branding.
  by kato

Technically it is a locomotive built in Canada by a US company, to a design for a British company and for the British market.

Somewhat oddly in Germany DB Cargo / DB Schenker remains about the only private freight train company not using EMD trains - everyone else has Class 66s or rents them from one of the common leasing companies; they once operated a single Class 59 loco bought used but sold it in 2001 after five years.

DB Cargo's French group Euro Cargo Rail - bought with EWS, i.e. the British operations - has about 50 Type 66 and 60 Type 77 regularly running in Germany, a heavily modified derivative built to conform to European emission norms. Euro Cargo Rail runs under its own brand name and (grey-and-yellow) livery, although their logo - like with DB Cargo UK - has been switched for the DB logo this year.
  by philipmartin

According to Rail UK, that Schenker 59206 was built by EMD of LaGrange, Illinois, USA, the long time home of the Electro Motive Division of General Motors, in 1995. EMD also had a plant in London, Ontario, Canada. I spotted it as an EMD by the peaked roof in its head on view, not because of the paint scheme.
http://www.railuk.info/diesel/getloco.php?item=%2059206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The photo below shows the 59206, the engine on the left, at Westbury Station. It illustrates what I refer to as a "peaked roof." Photo and copyright owned by Howie Milburn.
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by JayBee

RailUK is mistaken. The locomotive was built by GMDD in London, ON for National Power Ltd. not Foster Yeoman. Foster Yeoman bought the four earlier 59001 to 59004 series, now part of Mendip Rail along with the four 59101 to 59104 locomotives. Locomotives 59201 to 59206. The first two 59201, and 59202 were bought as single orders for Limestone/Gypsum service to Drax and Eggborough Power Stations, then the final four were bought to haul coal to the same two power stations a few years later.
  by johnthefireman

I may have misunderstood the OP, but I'm wondering what authority an Eastern European police officer would have at Acton yard. As far as I know Acton would come under the jurisdiction of the Met and the British Transport Police. While there are Polish police officers patrolling in one or two parts of the UK where Poles have been subject to xenophobic attacks, particularly since the Brexit vote, they patrol only with their British counterparts and have no police powers in the UK.
  by philipmartin

JayBee wrote:RailUK is mistaken. The locomotive was built by GMDD in London, ON for National Power Ltd. not Foster Yeoman. Foster Yeoman bought the four earlier 59001 to 59004 series, now part of Mendip Rail along with the four 59101 to 59104 locomotives. Locomotives 59201 to 59206. The first two 59201, and 59202 were bought as single orders for Limestone/Gypsum service to Drax and Eggborough Power Stations, then the final four were bought to haul coal to the same two power stations a few years later.
Thank you for the information, JayBee. Re-reading RailUK I realized that it doesn't say that the 59206 was built at LaGrange, but only that La Grange was the home of EMD. I changed my post accordingly.
  by David Benton

johnthefireman wrote:I may have misunderstood the OP, but I'm wondering what authority an Eastern European police officer would have at Acton yard. As far as I know Acton would come under the jurisdiction of the Met and the British Transport Police. While there are Polish police officers patrolling in one or two parts of the UK where Poles have been subject to xenophobic attacks, particularly since the Brexit vote, they patrol only with their British counterparts and have no police powers in the UK.
Sounds like an episode of "allo allo".
  by David Benton

From memory, the class 59 were the first mainline locomotives not built by an English company, and were boycotted by the British Rail Unions.
  by talltim

johnthefireman wrote:I may have misunderstood the OP, but I'm wondering what authority an Eastern European police officer would have at Acton yard. As far as I know Acton would come under the jurisdiction of the Met and the British Transport Police. While there are Polish police officers patrolling in one or two parts of the UK where Poles have been subject to xenophobic attacks, particularly since the Brexit vote, they patrol only with their British counterparts and have no police powers in the UK.
I would imagine that she was an immigrant in one the UK police forces. One of the regular train crew on my commute is French and when doing the announcements he sounds like Steve Martin playing Inspector Clouseau :-D
  by philipmartin

Between David and Tim this is getting hilarious.
I wonder if she was a railroad company (DB) police officer? Railroads in the US have their own police forces to do what this lady is supposed to have done.
To illustrate, here is a short video of NJ Transit police in action. By way of explanation, on NJT bicycles are not allowed on or trains during rush hours on weekdays. These two persons chose to ignore the regulation, and the NJT PD enforced it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdJ6ab ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by philipmartin

David Benton wrote:From memory, the class 59 were the first mainline locomotives not built by an English company, and were boycotted by the British Rail Unions.
I find the boycott mildly surprising. Apparently it didn't work; listening to that Acton yard video, I hear a lot of the sweet sound of EMD locos.
  by george matthews

philipmartin wrote:Between David and Tim this is getting hilarious.
I wonder if she was a railroad company (DB) police officer? Railroads in the US have their own police forces to do what this lady is supposed to have done.
To illustrate, here is a short video of NJ Transit police in action. By way of explanation, on NJT bicycles are not allowed on or trains during rush hours on weekdays. These two persons chose to ignore the regulation, and the NJT PD enforced it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdJ6ab ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Really, you should not interpret situations here in terms of US practice. Many aspects of life here are very different. Remember that rail traffic here is far more intensive than in most parts of the US. (BTW Note the spelling - deutsche.) At present rail companies based abroad run some British rail companies, but they do it under British law. For example there is a radical difference from the US in that the track is state owned by Network Rail whereas the operating companies are investor owned. Some of them are badly run (such as Southern, which seems unable to run a proper service for many months). I am in favour of renationalisation, and that is the policy of the Labour party.
  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: Really, you should not interpret situations here in terms of US practice.
I suppose that you are referring to railroad police. I don't know if they exist in Europe, and was suggesting that, if they do, it might be an answer to John's question about the female officer.
Railroading is basically the same the world over, and I thought that North American railroad police might have counterparts in Europe. It may not be pertinent here but as we all know, the GWR used policemen as signalmen early in its history.
Thank you for pointing out the correct spelling of "Deutsche."