• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Blackseal Jim

JohnFromJersey wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:25 am It is a shame that Pine Creek hasn't ran steam in a while. Last time I was there, I was told that they haven't run a steam train since the 2000's. Their steam locomotives need some hefty work, and steam isn't cheap to maintain.

Also, I passed by Fairfield tonight/last night (considering I am posting this at 1:30AM...), and they have reached beyond Fairfield Rd.
Last time Pine Creek ran steam was 1/1/2002. I was fireman that day . The 26 really isn't that bad . It has a thin spot around the fusible plug and needs a complete UT of the firebox. That's it . Work to return the 26 to service was never done due to the fact that NJMT didn't own it and all focus was turned onto the #46 which still isn't complete. NJ boiler laws are not a hassle and they don't require boiler's to be torn down every 5 years. I'm a NJ licensed state boiler operator.
Jim H
  by Bracdude181

That’s…Interesting…because I was told that it was by one of the other gentlemen in there who has worked on boilers before. Hmm…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  by JohnFromJersey

About 15-20 minutes ago, RB-1 passed through Farmingdale. Don't have a car count, was making breakfast at the time so I couldn't go trackside to see what was going on.

I'm assuming around 12-1PM we'll get a return trip
  by Bracdude181

They got held in Lakewood cause the frums were climbing on the train again.

Expect photos of the ROW clearing within the next hour.
  by Bracdude181

They’ve made it well past Fairfield road. I expect them to make it to Yellowbrook Road in the coming days.

Here’s a before and after of the work done.

Before:

After:

by pdtrains

Thx for the ROW clearing pix. Nice to see a piece of RR coming back to life...after having seen so much decline over the past 30 years...
  by Bracdude181

Agreed. This project is gonna help the Southern a lot. Way less NJT fees for one thing. Lol

by JohnFromJersey

Video of today's train at Asbury Rd:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UZPD7vIoqco

I also stopped by Fairfield Rd today. Significant progress has been made past Fairfield Rd! I almost thought they were at Squankum Rd with how clear it looked from Fairfield. Swung over to Fairfield, and alas, they haven't made it there yet.

Also, I saw a construction crew unloading an excavator by the tracks at the former Gold's Lumber. I wonder what they are doing...
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 pm Agreed. This project is gonna help the Southern a lot. Way less NJT fees for one thing. Lol

It will also allow for much more frequent service with heavier cars. I believe once the new Raritan River Bridge is complete, that will allow for Plate F/taller cars as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe Brick Recycling will start getting cars again!
  by Bracdude181

Plate F? No.
Heavier cars? Yes.
More frequent service? Possibly.

The aforementioned equipment wasn’t there when I drove by earlier…