Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by BobLI

Any word or pics about the Delanson interchange with the new rail operator? I'm not sure what the name of the new operator is thats using the single track line heading south of Delanson.

by Otto Vondrak

SMS Rail Services is the name of the operator.

by greenwichlirr

So did CP sell off the track, or are they just leasing it to SRS?

by D&HFan

The track is being leased.

by BobLI

Otto, Thanks for the great link to SMS.
I never hear them on the scanner, just wondering what frequency they use. I hear VRS, CP, CSX, Amtrak but never SMS.

by pablo

That multi colored map at their site sucks.

Dave Becker

by Otto Vondrak

Bob- they probably only get on the radio if they have to talk to D&H for some reason. Otherwise, I bet they either use cell phones/nextels or low-powered portables you're not picking up on your scanner.

Dave- couldn't agree more. The map sucks unless you actually know what stub they operate!

-otto-
  by BuckHogger69

Does anyone have an update on track usage between Delanson & Altamont or Voorheesville ?
I drove over parts of this "Spur" recently and it looks mostly unused ?
I passed a gate which was in poor shape but locked near the rear entrance to the Depot at Guilderland Center.
Is this track in use or do they use the other end of the depot.
  by alzubal

The tracks are used almost everyday. Most of the time in the am.
  by alzubal

Saturday and some times on Sunday. NS just dropped off a bunch of racks about an hour ago. SMS might be over early in the am to pick them up and drop off the empty ones. I have seen them here as early as 6 am.
Al
  by Otto Vondrak

Isn't the autorack business supposed to move to the new facility at Mechanicville? Wonder what will happen to the SMS operation then?

-otto-
  by march hare

Indeed, the new Mickeyville facility is to include an auto ramp, which will replace the current SMS connection. Construction has just begun recently--haven't heard a projected opening date.

SMS does have some conventional business into the Voorheesville Industrial Park, ballpark 10-20 cars a week, which will presumably continue.