Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

When reading about the Pan Am Souther agreement, they said the only way into/outof New england was over CSX or the D&H. Or via a very slow trip over the PAR west end.

So that leads me to the question wether the D&H is a subsidiary of CPrail, or just a CPR rail distirct? Does the D&H have a seperate management or is it run by CPR?

Also im looking for a map of the D&H system during the 1983-1990 time span if anyone could i would be very grateful!
  by Bob Sandusky

Without seeing the merger and assumption agreement and without knowing the D&Hs final independent formal structure I'm not sure anybody could truly answer your question.

For example much of the trackage that the D&H originally had was leased. Had all those lease been bought out or terminated before the D&H merged with CP. The D&H itself may have had subsidiaries on the books for accounting reason.

And then there are the trackage agreements from the Conrail creation, what leases, agreements etc did the D&H acquire or agree to with that.

Then of course you had the damage done by Guilford. What did they modify or strip out?

It gets to be a very tangled web when it comes to corporate accounting that stretches back over decades.

For example a corporation I worked for merged with another corporation, yet we still had on the books, for depreciation purposes, a small subsidiary company that held a massive amount of property. It was a legal corporation, with 1 employee, who's board just happened to be the BOD for the parent corporation. But it was a separate company.

For all intents and purposes, even if it is legally a separate corporation, the D&H is a sub of CP controlled by the CP management with no independent decision making ability. Even if it owns separate properties (say like Kenwood Yard) or equipment for accounting purposes. It may even be a separate corporation for the purposes of paying its American employees.

But CP treats it, operationally, just like another division. Who knows there may be a CP holding company that 'actually' owns all its American properties with all its stock held by the parent corp. Seen it done many times for tax purposes.
  by KSmitty

are the trains on the D&H run with CP train numbers or D&H numbers?
  by Otto Vondrak

D&H and Soo are subsidiaries of CP. D&H and Soo unionized employees negotiate contracts separate from CPR.
  by KSmitty

Thanks Otto. so the D&H is still a seperate entity, just part of the CPR system gotcha
  by Mem160

I still don't understand why Northbound D&H trains were odd numbered,
and yet NE84 had an even designation; was it considered to be a
Westbound train or something? If it ran over multiple railroads, why
wouldn't the D&H renumber it with a Northbound designation of their
own, similar to what CP/D&H does now with NS overhead traffic?

Thanks,

----> Mark
  by Tommy Meehan

Regarding the status of the D&H. My understanding was that a way back, maybe mid-1990s, the D&H and Canadian Pacific lines east of Montreal were merged by CP into the St. Lawrence & Hudson. Some of the locomotives were even lettered StL&H though with a red CP-like livery. That operation got mixed results. In 2001 the Canadian lines were reabsorbed by CP. D&H, as an American coprporation, was maintained as a subsidiary but with no locomotives or rolling stock of its own, all equipment comes from Canadian Pacific and the road is directly operated by Canadian Pacific.

At a PC Historical Society meeting a few years ago, two of the Albany District Amtrak engineers told us their buddies on D&H had told them, with the end of StL&H, the D&H was for all intents and purposes a CP Rail operation. For tax and legal purposes it is still maintained as a subsidiary.