• Current Railroad Lanterns

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Bigt

What company, or companies, still make the battery powered hand lanterns used in today's railroad
industry? I am familiar with those made by Star Headlight and Lantern, but, am wondering if there
are other manufacturers. And, for those made by Star, of the various models, what is the prevalent
model now used....replaceable battery, rechargeable battery, model type, regular bulb, halogen bulb,
LED, etc? Thanks.
  by MikeEspee

The "Starlite 292" manufactured by Star Headlight and Lantern is still the modern standard issue for most, if not all railroads. I've included a picture for review. The lantern with the dull yellow body on the left is the older style "new" issue, with some obvious wear from about a year or so of abuse and the lime green, on the right, is the most modern I have that was issued to me as I traded the lantern for a reverser about 4 years ago now.

Obvious updates are the exchange of the incandescent filament type bulb for both lights on the lantern (signalling and flashlight) to a plastic molded signalling piece with LED's inside and an LED bulb insert for the flashlight portion. Other various improvements are better insulation between the flashlight attachment which turns and pops off to replace the bulb, a better on/off/light choice switch which doesn't rust or otherwise corrode and lock up after getting wet and the addition of a red LED that lights up when the battery is getting low before really starting to die. Also I'd say the rubber grip is a little more durable than the predecessor, as evidence by how well it held up. They ALL, unless I'm mistaken, still use the regular old 6v brick battery that the lantern body was designed to accomodate. And railroaders still take batteries by the hundreds from work, as if used to heat their homes with...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Bigt

MikeEspee,

Thanks for info. I have not seen the "lime green" lanterns, but, do see the older style yellow
still going. I even have a couple of orange body ones that were given to me back in the early 80's.
I would then assume, from what you said, that the "rechargeable type" that I saw advertised in an
older brochure from Star, is not standard issue....that the "brick" battery type is still the mainstay.
Thanks again.
  by JWright

I have an LED lantern manufactured by McDermott Light and Signal of Ridgewood, New York. I purchased it from railroad tools and Solutions.

It's very bright and I have to be careful not to shine it in the eyes of other crew members when giving signals at night.

http://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.com/safety ... rrlant.asp
  by rovetherr

The company I work for buys Star lanterns, the ol' reliable 292. Since someone started to make a drop-in replacement LED for the spot bulb, the company has provided those as well. They really do make a difference in battery life and brightness. We still use the 6v throw away brick battery, the rechargeable ones could work for us I suppose, but with the battery life we get now it isn't much of an issue.

I bought my own lantern awhile ago, a model 2002 (like the one in the MikeEspee's pic with the new handle) that has served me well. However, today, I got a package in the mail that had this in it
It is a model 2012 full LED lantern. Super bright spotlight, the signal LED's are now 360 deg instead of the two sided PC board design of the 2002, and the switch is a rubber sealed push button so the head is completely sealed. Only time will tell to see how it survives.
  by Desertdweller

I've found the LED models very satisfactory. I've used quite a few lanterns over the years.

In defense of the railroaders who take batteries home, when you show up for work you are expected to have a light that works. The only way to be sure of this is to have a spare battery at home you can pop in if your other battery is getting weak.

What if you have a weak battery when you leave for work, expecting to put in a fresh one when you report for duty, and find the supply at work exhausted? This has happened to me. I kept a spare fresh battery in my grip just so this wouldn't happen.

If you work strictly as an engineer, you only need a flashlight.

If you are a yard clerk, you definitely need a lantern. You may have to get some car numbers in the dark, and need to see them and avoid breaking your neck.

Les
  by Bigt

rovetherr.....where did you purchase your lantern? I have repeatedly contacted Star Headlight - both by
email and regular mail - and I have either received nothing, or, info on industrial safety / barrier lights.
Maybe they do not sale to individuals? I do not work for a railroad, but, do work occassionally for a power
company at night. I need lighting and have to have my hands free too. I have an "old" orange body 292 given
to me by an old Conrail worker back in 1984. It has served well, but, I sure would like to see / obtain one
of the new LED models. And, you spoke of a drop-in LED for your old one?
  by rovetherr

I got both directly from Star. I used 1-585-226-6978, I too had no luck with the main number or email.

These are pretty much like what we use now for replacing the old incandescent bulbs. I think we use the 1 watt version.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flas ... e,60,4145:
  by Bigt

Thanks, rovetherr! I will try it.
  by Freddy

Search railroad lantern on eBay. They've got new ones pretty cheap.
  by pswag115

rovetherr wrote:I got both directly from Star. I used 1-585-226-6978, I too had no luck with the main number or email.

These are pretty much like what we use now for replacing the old incandescent bulbs. I think we use the 1 watt version.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/flas ... e,60,4145:
These bulbs will not work with conventional railroad lanterns with out more mods. Note the "center pin positive", most lanterns are center point negative, i was able to switch mine using rechargable batteries installed backwards in this adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DKTFE8/ref ... B001DKTFE8

I have a 1 watt in signal position, and a 5 watt in the spot.
  by rovetherr

pswag115, you're correct, I didn't even think of that. I checked the bulb, we use a 1N6V type bulb. Negative pin, so there are no modifications required. After checking with the boss, these are the exact ones we use. http://analogtechnologies.com/upload/pdf/22.pdf