• Current day Bayview Ont. experience?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

by train2

I last visited Bayview jct in the late 80s and early 90s. I know they have added a track and if appears new signals have replaced the searchlights.

I am curious if anything has changed that effects the railfan experience?

Are any areas off limits, any fences on bridge overpasses, heavy police presence?

T2
  by Ken V

Since no one has responded with some recent experience I guess I can try to give some answers.

It's been almost a year since my last visit to the fabled Bayview Junction and at that time there was no sign of barbed wire or snipers waiting to pick off errant railfans.

Yes, there have been additional tracks added to the east of the rail triangle along with new signals. To the south and west there are still just two tracks on the CN heading off each way to London and Niagara and the single track joining west to south. On the CPR line, not much has changed.

Of course,the railroad right of way is off limits and, like all private property, always has been. But there is plenty of public property in the area (including the Royal Botanical Gardens parklands and footbridge) from which to view passing trains. There should be no worries about a trip to Bayview and the experience should be as good as (or better) than 10-20 years ago.
  by Montrealrail

for bayview Junction
I went there a year ago,and it was a great experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPwoc_GPOx4

but I don't know if the overpass are accessible,because they recently closed the park for improvement,but I did'nt get any-news about the overpass for a while..
  by 1Loran

The overpass is open to just beyond the tracks, so while there is no access to the gardens, you can still railfan from the foot bridge.