• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Im told subdivision break point is Royal Jct… I assume that means Brunswick to Worcester is one sub that will have PTC, and east of Royal is a sub without
  by bostontrainguy

RE: Hillsborough Branch. Reports and pictures on other websites showing NA-1 on the ground near St. Joseph's Medical. It's been sitting there since Tuesday. Rerailing and track rebuilding still going on today.
  by neman2

Time to turn the Hillbilly into a snowmobile/walking trail like the rest of the NH rail lines . Give up the business to the truckers.
  by NHN503

Not gonna happen. You're going to see a decent amount of work on this line come spring. It's just not on the high list right now as the main is.
  by newpylong

CN9634 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:26 pm Im told subdivision break point is Royal Jct… I assume that means Brunswick to Worcester is one sub that will have PTC, and east of Royal is a sub without
Royal all the way to Worcester most certainly will not be a single sub-division.
  by newpylong

neman2 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:32 pm Time to turn the Hillbilly into a snowmobile/walking trail like the rest of the NH rail lines . Give up the business to the truckers.
That line is not going anywhere.
  by Knucklehead

rustyrails wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:43 pm Well it's official. I was at Burncoat St crossing talking with a CSX official, waiting for a single light engine coming from Ayer to Burncoat Street. They were testing the RR crossings to make sure the signal lights and gates were activated far enough up the track for the NEW 25 MPH speed limit up from the previous 10 MPH. Your hearing it from me, the CSX official said that after the light engine made it to Burncoat without incident, the speed increase should take place immediately. The CSX spokesman said it should take less than half the time now to make it from Ayer to Worcester and visa versa. The weight limit is raised as well and the plan is to use the track more than once a day. For 2023, a lot of work is planned in District 3 & 4 going almost to the Canadian border. The spokesman said that work will begin soon, in the next phase, and there is a lot of work upgrading the lighter rails that's in place now. You may also see some work starting from Fitchburg to Gardner as well but not as much as up north.
I was on 140 in West Boylston at the old stone church/Wachusett Reservoir at sunrise this morning. A westbound train came through the reservoir area at what I assume is the new track speed.
  by bostontrainguy

Good short article on Trains website about this. Excerpt:
" In this area, around the Wachusett Reservoir, we’ve increased speed to 25 mph. But elsewhere, that’s just the beginning. The intent is to go 40, then 49. We’ll see where we end up.”
  by rustyrails

That must have been a nice sight observing the train moving at that speed over the causeway. Maybe I'll keep my ear to the radio and see when the M426 gets a form D to head to Ayer and see it for myself.
  by rustyrails

At Burncoat, I've seen the crew tie down the train different ways. Sometimes not braking the 5 end cars, and sometimes braking them. What is the rule of thumb or SOP for tying down a train of that size?
  by markhb

newpylong wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:33 pm Well I'll be, confirmed to me today via someone directly involved that the scuttlebutt is true: milepost changes are in the works as well as the Sub Divisions.
Does anyone know what the current CSX milepost is at Worcester? And, I know it's been discussed here but there was a lot of jargon involved.... is the stretch from WUS to Barbers still owned by P&W/G&W?