• CSX school first to last week

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by UPRR engineer

the missing link wrote: how do they assign you through the training/hiring process?
Ya hanging out waiting for an answer there buddy? I dont know CSX or NS but, Im pretty sure you hire out on a district, (who knows how big it is there, where your looking to hire out) where your seniority falls decides where you work, you have to live close to your terminal, get what im saying buddy. Just because you live close to where you want to work doesnt mean thats where your gonna be at. That help any?

by the missing link

Thanks for the tip, I don't want to go into this blind.

by CSX Conductor

They tend to hire for the larger terminals. (Oak Island, Selkirk). Then they train in some of the smaller terminals. Once you mark-up from training you will be able to go to either Selkirk or Oak Island. The problem with Selkirk as a trainee is they could put you in one of the following groups: Selkirk West (to Buffalo), Selkirk East (to Boston), Selkirk South (Selkirk to Oak Island), & Selkirk Terminal (working in the yards).

by DJ

Selkirk West is out of the question for new hire trainees. Your choices in Selkirk are the yard itself, the riverline or the Boston line.

I know because I wanted to go west, and was told that. So I went east.

by CSX Conductor

The Mohawk has always, and will always go higher in seniority due to the good $$$. I mean look at how long it takes you or I to get from Selkirk to Boston....and it takes 12 hours before over-time is accrued. The Mohwak guys go twice as far and make twice as much as us and in many cases in less time.