• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by AMK0123

Haven't been to Haverstraw lately but last week I saw C712 heading down toward Haverstraw with six gondolas loaded with new ties, and they have been parking the work train (believe it's been O-030?) with CSX engine 7733 in the New York Central yard in Newburgh. Train was still there a few days ago when I drove by. I know that they had ran the Sperry car up through the area about two weeks ago and three nights ago they ran several pieces of MoW equipment south on the line.
  by waldwickrailfan

there is a derailment on the river line on MP 22-24.
  by Jonathan R McCann

waldwickrailfan wrote:there is a derailment on the river line on MP 22-24.
Thats CSX for ya! lol
  by csxjs

I just heard some chatter on 160.785 near Ft. Montgomery that sounded like a work crew giving street directons to a truck to QR 43. Does anyone know if this frequency is assigned to work crews or what its used for?

Thanks
  by M1 9147

Well since this has been quiet here, I was over at the River Line last Sunday, and I saw 3 double stack consists, and 1 piggyback consist all headed Southbound between when I was around there from 10am to 2. One consist I spotted to which I shot video footage, and photo footage at Valley Cottage (all double-stacks with about 80-100 cars) at about 12:15ish! I saw the symbols on another thread on this page, but anybody know which one it could of been? I didn't have my scanner on at the time, or may of not been set to the proper channel!
  by Jonathan R McCann

M1 9147 wrote:Well since this has been quiet here, I was over at the River Line last Sunday, and I saw 3 double stack consists, and 1 piggyback consist all headed Southbound between when I was around there from 10am to 2. One consist I spotted to which I shot video footage, and photo footage at Valley Cottage (all double-stacks with about 80-100 cars) at about 12:15ish! I saw the symbols on another thread on this page, but anybody know which one it could of been? I didn't have my scanner on at the time, or may of not been set to the proper channel!
The channel for the Riverline is 160.98000
  by waldwickrailfan

Jonathan R McCann wrote:
M1 9147 wrote:Well since this has been quiet here, I was over at the River Line last Sunday, and I saw 3 double stack consists, and 1 piggyback consist all headed Southbound between when I was around there from 10am to 2. One consist I spotted to which I shot video footage, and photo footage at Valley Cottage (all double-stacks with about 80-100 cars) at about 12:15ish! I saw the symbols on another thread on this page, but anybody know which one it could of been? I didn't have my scanner on at the time, or may of not been set to the proper channel!
The channel for the Riverline is 160.98000
North Bergen yard is 160.920
  by AMK0123

Road Channel is 160.9800 and the dispatchers channel is 160.6200. Also, looks like CSX installed a new metal radio tower next to it's Orangeburg Defect Detector this past week. There's currently one antenna on top, unknown what's being transmitted from there or if they're just replacing there older wooden antenna pole.
  by FireChaserE3

It's been a year or two since I've been out photographing on the River Line @ Iona Island. How is the traffic on Sundays nowadays? I remember back in the day you would get good traffic in the AM before 10 and afternoons after 2...but in between it was hit or miss. I'm thinking of heading up there in a few weeks on a Sunday early...and will prob hang all day. Dont wanna go though if the line is dead.
  by waldwickrailfan

FireChaserE3 wrote:It's been a year or two since I've been out photographing on the River Line @ Iona Island. How is the traffic on Sundays nowadays? I remember back in the day you would get good traffic in the AM before 10 and afternoons after 2...but in between it was hit or miss. I'm thinking of heading up there in a few weeks on a Sunday early...and will prob hang all day. Dont wanna go though if the line is dead.
i was in Bergenfield today. got there just as 2 trains minutes apart from each other came through. then nothing for over 4 hours.
  by airman00

Today 1/26/12... saw 2 interesting engines in a consist today. It was around 12 noon when I saw this. The train had 4 engines in the consist. First two were big road engines, (605 leading?) Anyway... 3rd engine was CSX 1554 gp15-1, and 4th engine was MBTA 1133. The MBTA engine was looking really sharp, the 1554 looked shiny also.
  by Jonathan R McCann

CSX train Q410 has a Pan Am SD40-2 and a genset in its consist. My friend said it should be in Philly around 4AM today. Im hoping it comes through tomorrow.
  by airman00

I was working right near the river line today and saw a couple of interesting things... One train had CSX 5000 leading with the diversity logo on it. Another had 5701? with some kind of writing on the nose, like... spirit of something? (couldn't catch all the writing) Also saw an interesting tank car it had the words "training car" on it. Also caught a small string of Conrail coil sheild cars, on one of the trains. And of course it's cool seeing one of those old "southern serves the south" boxcars. :)
  by mainetrain

Monday 9:30am Was on the NYS Thruway south heading towards the TZ Bridge when I saw what appeared to be (3) CSX SD40-2's and an MBTA FP40(?) heading north with a short garbage consist. I pulled over and turned on the scanner to hear Sperry Rail Car, plus one, on the main heading south towards cp22 waiting for 3 northbounds to pass on the siding. This being the first. Sorry no camera and I had to work.
  by blocksignal

I have a few questions regarding the signalling and track switching at CP10 and vicinity:

1) I know that there are block signals South of CP10 at CP7. Where are the next block signals North of CP10 located? Town? Street?

2) I recall seeing a picture on the internet taken in 2009 of the 3 headed signal (located just South of New Bridge Road in Bergenfield) protecting the Southbound flow of traffic. It was on the right side of the single track before that track splits up into 3 tracks. In February of this year I was over there and the signal was on the left side. Any particular reason for the move?

3) While I was over there I noticed Southbound trains either taking the straight-away track or the one all the way to the left (I also saw a Northbound train coming up that far left track before crossing New Bridge Road). When and how often do they use that middle track? Is that track mainly a passing track perhaps? I located a pedestrian crossing at West Fort Lee Road in Bogota and noticed the middle track is not as clean and shiny as the tracks to the left and right of it.

4) Regarding question #3 what would the signal aspect be if a Southbound train was switched to go down the middle track? I noticed that when the signal was green or yellow over red over red the train would go straight ahead. I also noticed if the signal was, for example, R-G-R (Medium Clear) or R-Y-R (Medium Approach) or R-Y-G (Medium Approach Slow) the train would end up going over to the far left track. Thanks.

Blocksignal.