• CSX frequencies along the East Coast?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by dummy

this winter into the spring I will be traveling I 95 from new york state to florida at least twice and was wondering what frequencies i should be listening to.

by dummy

no one knows what CSX or NS uses for road frequencies in richmond VA? or the carolinas ? maybe im in the wrong spot ?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

try googling it and you should get some good results

up here in MA we CSX uses 160.800

by CSX Conductor

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:up here in MA we CSX uses 160.800
That's because as much as Jacksonville hates to hear it, this is still Con-Rail Country!!! :P

by blippo

The road channels, South of Richmond,160.590. North of Richmond, 161550, north of Alexandria, va 160.230, north of phila, 160.800. The NS=161070. Amtrak 160.920

by dummy

i was told by a friend that 160.800 was originally the main road frequency for the new york central. 161.070 was the pennslyvainias main frequency. thanks for the info. ill be listening.

by Noel Weaver

dummy wrote:i was told by a friend that 160.800 was originally the main road frequency for the new york central. 161.070 was the pennslyvainias main frequency. thanks for the info. ill be listening.
You got it just the opposite, 160.800 was the main Pennsylvania road
channel and 161.07 was the main New York Central road channel.
Today's radios for the most part are multi channel and can accomodate all
railroad channels for the most partl from 160.185 to 161.565. In the mid
to late 1980's most new radios were multi channel radios and as new ones
were ordered and delivered, most engines had them.
On Conrail and probably most other railroads too, most locomotives could
accomodate the new radios without major modifications but some of the
older former Penn Central etc engines could not accomodate the new
multi channel radios and if they were going to be retained in the long term, the connections were modified to accept the new radios.
Noel Weaver

by dummy

noel, do you know if the railroads of the past only used one channel for everything ?

by Noel Weaver

dummy wrote:noel, do you know if the railroads of the past only used one channel for everything ?
I recall working the River Line in the early to mid 1970's under Penn
Central ownership when all of the freight yards in New Jersey, Amtrak
corridor, Sunnyside Yard, many commuter trains and the River Line all
used road one which at that time was 160.800. It was a nightmare, we
had to put up with the radio noise until after we passed through the
Haverstraw Tunnel after which we did not get much except the River Line.
After Amtrak took over the corridor and Conrail took over the freight,
the situation improved greatly.
Same thing on the other side of the river where the commuter operation
after Conrail and even more so after Metro-North when the commuter
lines got a separate channel and eventually a separate channel for each
line.
Noel Weaver

by dummy

what can you tell me about the hotbox DED detectors. when did they come into play ?

by Noel Weaver

Radio alarm hot box detectors on Conrail came in use for the most part
between 1983 and 1987 although some places much later.
Noel Weaver

by clearblock

dummy wrote:noel, do you know if the railroads of the past only used one channel for everything ?
Back in the ealry 1960's NYC used 161.070 as the road and dispatcher channel almost everywhere but there were additional channels for yard and other operations. Most radios then were capable of only 4 channels so a road locomotive would typically have the road channel and 2 or 3 yard channels.

With the Penn Central merger, the Pensy 160.800 and the NYC 161.070 road frequencies were reassigned in some cases to put adjacent dispatch territories on alternate frequencies. This led to the standard PC loco radio configuration of:

CH1 160.800
CH2 161.070
CH3 160.860
CH4 160.980

You will still sometimes hear crews in former PC territory use the old PC channel numbers.

by dummy

thanks for the info guys.

by tazman021706

I know that CSX uses 161.550 from Alexandria, Va to Richmond, Va along the old RF&P. Not to sure of the old Seaboard and Family Lines freq's in and south of Richmond

by scharnhorst

160.800 is mostley used in New York as road ch 1
161.130 is MOW Channel
161.160 is road channel 2 it is used between NCSX, NYS&W, and Finger Lakes.